Chapter 11- Homecoming Queen

The motor continues to make noise as we ride into the prison, smiling faces chirping with joy as we enter the gate. Daryl stops the bike, and I hop off, embracing the people coming up to me. Austin comes running through the crowd, cutting off a hug I am about to give to embrace me.

"Nicole! I thought you were gone!," he yells, lifting me up in the air while spinning in circles like he did before when I finally was able to walk on my wound. He's such a little kid inside. I chuckle, hugging him tightly back as he puts me back on the ground. Then comes Sawyer, Beth, Carol, Jenny, and everyone else.

We all walk inside, Carol keeping her arm around me as we enter the gate of the cells. Carl, Kenzy, and the other younger kids run up to hug me, chirping on how glad they are that I'm back alive. I look over to see Carol giving Daryl a hug, along with Rick shaking his hand. That and Hershel came over, stumbling on his one leg as he shook Daryl's hand. That's it? No one else from Woodbury came up to greet him.

Maggie and Glenn walk up to me, embracing me into a giant hug one at a time. Wow, these people do care about me after all. I then see Oliver walk passed me, refusing to glance at me as she heads over to Daryl. I curse under my breath, watching as she embraces Daryl. He gives her a small hug, but she refuses to let go for a few more seconds. I roll my eyes, returning my focus to the group who are swarming me.

"I'm so glad you're back!," Robert, a teenage boy, says while running up to hug me. I never even talked to him until now. Why am I getting so much attention? I was always the girl who was alone, defending herself, but everyone seems to act like I'm the most cherished person alive. I guess these people care after all.

A few minutes later, everyone begins to return to their business. I head over to Hershel, who embraces me into a hug, welcoming me back. He looks at my leg, realizing I still have my stitches in, so he smiles, hopping over to his tools. He grabs some sort of scissors as he motions me to sit down on a table. He cuts my stitches out, nodding as he checks my skin.

"Good as new!," he says, a smile spreading from ear to ear. I smile back, telling him thank you as I walk out of the room. I then head towards the food stash, grab my food, and head to my mattress. It's around dinner time, so everyone else grabs their food too. I watch as the supplies easily shrink, all the people taking their share. Looks like we are going to have to go on a supply run soon.

As I reach my mattress, I stretch, moaning as I set my stuff down. I take off my jacket, grab a pair of jeans, and head to the a cell on the top floor. I put my jeans on, my shredded shorts tearing up even more every time I touch it. I then walk out, returning to my mattress. I plop down, grabbing my food, and beginning to eat. I realize how long it has been since I ate, so I quickly eat, my stomach thanking me for food.

I see Rick and Michonne head towards watch, smiling at me as they walk by. Wow, Michonne actually smiled! I then return to my food, hearing the door open and close as they head out. Gosh, I have watch tonight, but I can hardly stand. I decide to lie down for an hour or two, feeling exhaustion take over my body. I begin to think about my life. I'd probably be dead right now if it weren't for Daryl. Once again, he saved my life. I owe him everything, again.

I hear the watch door open as Daryl walks up the stairs. I too stand up, heading over to Rick and Michonne. They stop, waiting for Daryl to catch up.

"You two need some rest. I'll take watch for you. Michonne, you go get some rest too.," Rick says, looking at the three of us.

"No, we are fine.," I say, looking up at Rick, not wanting him to cover our shift for us.

"I'm going if you're going.," Michonne says, a serious look on her face as she gazes at Rick. He sighs, looking over at Daryl to see what he has to say.