Chapter 8- The Army

"See anything?," Austin asks me, focusing on the hole he's digging with Daryl.

"Nope. Nothing.," I reply, concentrating through the scope of my rifle as I keep watch. The funeral for Johnny was depressing; his family wouldn't stop weeping. Daryl and Austin are currently digging the grave for Johnny.

"So...Daryl...," Austin says, his voice sounding like a little boy kissing up to his parents. "What about that bike of yours?," He says. I can imagine the grin he has on his face right now. Although Johnny is 25, he acts like he is 17.

"There ain't no way you're taking my bike. Do you even know how to ride?," Daryl says, his tone harsh. I chuckle at the two. They've been at it ever since we came out here.

"Well, I can learn fast. Nicole can help me too.," Austin says, looking over at me. I look over, raising an eyebrow.

"Now why would I help you?," I ask, laughing as I speak.

"Because you can ride, right?," he asks, his eyes in a horrible attempt at looking like a puppy's. I roll my eyes, my eyebrow still raised.

"Well, yeah, but I haven't in a while.," I say, returning back to my scope to keep watch. So far nothing but a few stray walkers.

"You ride?" I hear Daryl's voice as I hear one shovel stop.

"Yeah. My brother and I...we used to ride.," I say, my voice lowering as I mention my brother. They seem to understand what happened to my brother. He was killed early on when the whole thing happened. I had to take him out myself.

"Oh. Sorry about your brother.," Daryl says, returning to his shoveling. I nod, not removing my concentration from the rifle.

"Well, then how about Nicole and I ride into town on the bike?," Austin says, looking up at Daryl with a childish look. He really wants to ride that bike.

"Ain't no one riding it other than me. Rick's gonna have to let me be the one taking it into town like it or not.," He says, putting his shovel down. I look over to see the hole large enough for Johnny. He and Austin walk over to the wrapped up corpse of Johnny's little body. Blood stains the blanket where his head is. They had to put him down.

"I guess the Governor wont care if it's Daryl or not. He's too crazy to care anymore.," I say, looking at the two of them for a moment. They nod in agreement.

"I guess you're right. So can I at least ride with you Daryl?," Austin says, his kid spirit still full of hope. They place Johnny's body in the hole and grab their shovels.

"Have you ever been on a bike?," Daryl asks, leaning an arm on his shovel as he licks his lips. Austin lets out a sigh.

"No. That's why I wanna ride one so bad.," Austin replies, looking down as he begins to bury Johnny. I watch as Daryl rolls his eyes.

"This ain't no game man. We'll see what Rick thinks anyways. Lets just hurry up and finish.," Daryl says, crushing Austin's little spirit. He sighs as he continues to work on the grave. I look back over to the forest, watching for anything. The second I see the Governor, I'm going to shoot him.

"Alright, done.," Daryl says, stomping on the ground to harden the dirt. He flicks his head to the inside of the prison, telling us to go. Austin and I nod as we follow Daryl in. Daryl and Austin have their shovels slung across their shoulders while I hold my gun with both hands.

"'Ey Rick.," Daryl says, walking up to Rick. I look over to see everyone in their cells. I hear faint cries all around the room. The only ones out are Carl and Kailee as they comfort Kenzy. My heart breaks as I see little Kenzy sob. Carl's protective arms are wrapped around her. Kailee is holding onto her back.