Chapter 7- Easy Come, Easy Go

I gaze out to the forest, looking for any signs of a threat. I let out a yawn, watching the sunrise as I look over at Daryl.

"Looks like watch time is up.," I say, grabbing my gun. He lets out a tiered sigh as he stands up.

"A'ight, lets go.," he replies, stretching. I push myself to my knees using the help of the chain linked fence. I quickly stand up after, ignoring the pain I feel in my leg.

"No!," I hear a random scream coming from the group. Daryl and I quickly glance at each other before racing to the door. He beats me there as I limp as fast as possible behind. He holds the door open behind him for me, waiting a second for me to walk through. We both hurry down the stairs. By now, I'm ignoring the sharp pain my wound brings.

"Johnny, no!," Jenny screams, huddling around a lifeless body with Ryan, her husband, and Kenzy, her daughter. The three of them are full of tears. I see Kenzy turn around and run to a corner, her blond hair stuck to her red and stressed face. Carl quickly chases after her, pulling her into a hug.

"No...," I say as I walk closer. Jenny shoos me away as she looks at her little boy. He's...dead. I scoot backwards a few steps, falling to my knees. The Governor killed him! Rage, fear, hate, and sadness all occupy my emotions. I bury my face in my hands, thinking about Johnny. I feel a pair of arms wrap around me. I look up, my face full of tears as I see Carol.

"He's gone Carol! He's gone!," I say, returning my face to my hands. She rubs my back in a small attempt to comfort me. Tears occupy her face too. I hear she used to have a daughter named Sophia. I realize that Carol knows what this is like, yet she's the one comforting me even though I'm not the one feeling the hole in my heart bleed.

"I know Nicole, I know.," she says, still holding me. Carol really is a good person. Daryl is right. My anger seems to take over all of my emotions as I keep thinking about it. Jenny and Carol never deserved to go through this tragedy. Same with Johnny. I look through my hair which is covering my face. Everyone is distraught.

"No...," I say, standing up. "No, I can't take this anymore!," I shout, heading to the stairs as I walk away from Carol.

"Where are you going?," she asks, attempting to stop me as she grabs my shoulder. I turn around to face her.

"The Governor needs to die.," I say, marching up the stairs. I am too fueled by anger to feel my wound throb.

"Well you can't just go out there by yourself!," Carol says, still following me. I pick up my knife and stuff it in the inside of my leather jacket.

"I can't see anyone else die, Carol. We both know that blasted creep isn't going to stop at Johnny.," I say, hoping to convince her to let me go without anyone knowing.

"There has to be another way. Here, I'll go talk about it with Rick. I'm sure he already has a plan.," she says, holding on to my shoulder.

"What's Rick gonna do? Send more people out so they can get killed? No. I'm not letting that happen. Ever since Travis died, I'm not letting anyone else go.," I say, looking at her right in the eyes. She just looks back at me, not knowing what to say. I break from her grasp as I turn around.

"Where do you think you're goin'.," Daryl says as he grabs both of my wrists, his tone more like a statement than a question.

"Out. Now let go of me.," I say, my voice perfectly calm.

"With that wound?," he speaks, looking down at my bandages. More blood must have slipped through because I keep walking so hard on it. I let out a sigh, looking up at him, tears beginning to fill my eyes.

"I have to, Daryl. The Governor will stop at nothing until we are all dead. I have to kill him.," I say, my voice shaky. I feel Carol place a comforting hand on my shoulder. I look over and see her eyes shinning with tears. I sigh, finally giving in.