Chapter 12- Beginner's Luck

"You hold the barrel with your left hand, not your right!" Glenn says for the hundredth time, rolling his eyes as all the hope he has leaves.

"I'm sorry!" Oliver squeals, her high voice cracking as she continually apologizes, holding a rifle in the strangest way. Her blond hair seems to get everywhere, covering her eyes as she attempts to learn how to shoot a gun. And she signed up to be on watch why?

"Okay, here. Go ask Nicole if she can help you. You are friends right? Good.," Glenn says, refusing to give Oliver a chance to respond as he walks away. I chuckle at his words from a distance, that is until I realize he shooed her away to me. I roll my eyes as I see her walk up to me, her blue eyes full of stubbornness as she hold the rifle across her shoulder.

"Yes, Oliver?," I ask, lifting an eyebrow. Not giving her a chance to reply, I continue with a stuck up tone. "Oh, you need help? But I thought you knew how to use a gun.," I say, rubbing in the fact she isn't better at me in everything after all. I chuckle, a smirk on my face as I watch her roll her anger-filled eyes with disgust my way. This chick will probably die right away if we are to be attacked. I know it sounds cruel, but living in the same area with her is a pain.

"Yes, I need help, but at least I'm not manly like you and your guns.," she says, making fun of my ability to use a gun. I glare at her for a second, wanting to take that rifle from her and shoot her in the mouth. Maybe that'll keep her quiet.

"Oh yeah? At least I'll be the one to live when it's time to use a gun.," I throw back, walking passed her to an empty target the group set up for practice. She follows, and I hear her sigh as she follows me. I may not have the pretty blond hair, or blue eyes, but at least I can defend myself in this world. That's all that matters, right?

"Here, hold it like this.," I say as I take her rifle and hold it up. I slightly lean forward, allowing me to stand steady as I aim for a walker heading towards the gate. I fire, smirking as I see the bullet penetrate the walker in the side of it's head. Blood splatters everywhere, staining the soil with its rotten stench. It's not exactly the perfect shot, but this isn't any James Bond movie either; it's the real world.

"'Kay, let me see.," she says, her annoying voice giving me slight shivers as I hand her the gun. She holds it up the way I showed her, but she's leaning way too far back.

"Lean forward. Leaning backwards only makes you, well, suck.," I say in a calm tone, my eyes locked on her position. She rolls her eyes once again, leaning forward. I hear her groan frustratedly as she flicks her hair out of her face.

"It's too heavy to keep steady.," she complains, looking through the scope on the rifle. Seriously, too heavy?

"Oh my gosh...," I mutter as I walk closer. I aim the gun slightly higher, fixing her weakening posture. "Shoot.," I say as I stand back, making sure she continues to stand correctly. She fires, barely hitting a walker in the head. Not as good as my shot, but pretty decent. Maybe she will survive the Governor after all. Dang it.

"Ha ha.," she says mockingly, standing upright as she holds the gun down with her right hand. "Guess that means I've got the looks, and the ability to shoot a gun.," she says, scanning my body in a stuck up way. I just glare for a moment, turn around, then walk away. She just doesn't get it, does she? This isn't a modeling show; this is war.

"Hey, you okay?," Carol says, running up to me. I nod, not fully acknowledging her. I'm not in the mood to talk to anyone. Even though I owe Carol an apology, I don't feel like talking. She puts her left arm on my right shoulder, walking next to me.

"I'm fine.," I reply, hoping it will make her stop worrying about me for once. She's a great person and all, but I need some me time.

"What she said isn't true.," Carol says, stopping me. I turn around and face her, my eyes looking down.