Chapter 39

-

During the show, something captured Kai's attention. He rose swiftly and pulled Sehun out of the venue. Unaware of the situation, Sehun was left bewildered.

"What happened?!"

Kai didn't halt; he kept walking briskly, holding Sehun's hand. Once they were in the car, Kai remained restless. "To the hotel, now!" he urged.

The driver was steady, accelerating the car as soon as he received the orders. Sehun remained quiet, visibly upset. Meanwhile, Kai sat in silence, lost in thought.

"I'm truly upset about this. You promised this trip would be on my terms. All I asked for was to see a magic show. It's just a magic show, what is there to fear?"

Kai sighed, "It's not about the magic show."

Sehun nodded. "Guess what? I'm well aware of that. I also sense there's something else you're not sharing with me. What's happening?"

Kai glanced at Sehun, "Considering my friendship with Jason (Kate's husband), it wasn't just the two of us; a few years back, we were actually a group of four. Then, a terrible event occurred, leaving only the two of us. I trust Jason more than anyone else, so we were certain we'd remain united. However, the other two had a severe falling out. Shawn and... We nicknamed him Bunny. Everything disintegrated because of that scoundrel."

"Bunny? That sounds familiar. But what exactly occurred?" Sehun was puzzled.

"I can't reveal all the details. Just understand that Bunny spells trouble," Kai said with a sigh.

"Is that why you were tense, because he was at the show?"

Kai loosened his tie and said, "No, we have no idea where he actually is. It's Shawn; he was the wild one in our group."

Sehun exhaled sharply, "I doubt it."

"He has such a weird fondness for magic. When you talked about the show and its grandeur, I knew Shawn would have to be there. And sure enough, he was. I just hope he didn't see us," Kai said, glancing around to check if they were being followed.

"Wait, you're scared of him?" Sehun asked, astonished.

"What? No way. It's just that we haven't been in touch for some time. And he's a bit... How should I put it? He's like a dramatic spouse. It's too much." Kai cleared his throat, looking embarrassed.

Sehun arched an eyebrow, "Is there a history between you two?"

Kai was quick to refute, "NO! I've told you, we're just friends, plus he's straight and happily married."

Sehun breathed a sigh of relief. "You have arrived," the driver informed them.

They disembarked and headed back to their rooms. Kai felt a wave of relief wash over him once inside. Both freshened up. While they were busy, a knock came at the door. "That must be the room service," Sehun guessed, recalling his ordered snacks.

"Wait, I'll get it. Stay back in the bedroom," Kai said as he approached the door. Taking a deep breath, he opened it to find, to his relief, the actual room service attendant with their food. Kai exhaled deeply, accepted the food, and shut the door.

No sooner had he placed the food on the table than another knock sounded. "I forgot to tip," he muttered, opening the door. This time, however, the scene had changed. Four men in black stood before him. "Finally, he made an entrance." Kai sighed..

"Hello, Mr. Kai!" one of them exclaimed excitedly. "Ah, Tony, how are you?" Kai responded with a smile. "All is well, sir," he replied, smiling back before switching to Kayne mode.