chapter 1

"Finally," I thought, " I'm 16! Nothing could go wrong today!" I was wrong. Everything will go wrong. It's my life. I'm the weird nerd girl with 3 friends, who sit next to the trash cans at lunch. I'm rather small for my age, but whatever, I'm awesome. Ha awesome is the exact opposite word used for me. I hide behind glasses, that I don't even need, I am the school nerd! I get A's on everything; I've already been accepted to college!

Okay, I'm not going to bring myself down today. It's my birthday and I'm not going to be stopped.

After I got dressed; plaid shirt, white blouse; I decided to it mix up a bit, make up. Yes! I'm ditching the glasses for foundation, cover up, eyeliner, and lipstick. I don't know where all of this confidence was coming from but I love it. Not only was I pretty today, but maybe the guy I like will notice. Alex Cole, ah even thinking about him makes my heart skip a beat. To bad he only sees me as his best friend. Yes! My crush is my best friend. It's not my fault.

It started with out last sleepover. My parents though, still, he was gay so they let him sleepover. We were playing truth or day. It was stupid little dares at first, touch your nose with your tongue, prank call your mom. Little things like that. But then he dared me to kiss him, when I did we didn't stop. We just kept kissing, until he pulled away. He went and put in a movie and cuddled with me for the rest of the night. We don't talk about that night at all.

I got to school early, like usual. I went to my library and found someone sitting my seat! Yes! My seat! I sit in one seat; I can see everything in that seat. When I approached the seat I noticed Alex was sitting in it.

"Hey! Buttmunch get out of my seat!" I laughed approaching him.

"Make me loser," Alex called back.

"You wanna see?" I said leaning over him.

"Come on princess its just a seat," God when he calls me princess, no be strong.

"No it's not, move!" I said pushing him over one seat. "Thank you."

I took out my book and began to read. I felt someone staring at me, when I looked it was Alex. He was staring at me with his big beautiful green eyes. I couldn't help but smile at his perfect eyes.

"You aren't wearing your glasses."

"Yea. I don't need them"

"But you're always wearing them. You look cute in them. Not saying you aren't without them, you're beautiful. Is that make up? Geez, I should come to all your glasses, every guy will be hitting on you."

"So what if they are? I don't have a boyfriend. Plus some of them are cute." Way to go me! This is so much fun! He is getting so jealous. His cheeks are burning red, and his fists are curled to the point he may make himself bleed.

"No they aren't. You talk about annoying and ugly they all are."

"Not true! I do like someone in this school!" oops! Wait its ok he doesn't know who....oh crap, what if he already knows! This is bad, very bad. I can't deal with this. My eyes flutter and my hands start to get clammy.

"Oh yea. Who?" His hand fell onto my lap, but I ignored that it was there. Hey if he's in contact with me in anyway, who said I'm gonna stop him? Who would? He's hot! We'll for a nerd, I mean every girl is drooling over him but he still manages to not have a girlfriend.

"Can't let you know that"

"Why not? Do I know him?"

"Yes"

"Do I have a class with him?"

"Yup" I was reading my book through this whole conversation. It was fun watching him out of the corner of my eye freak out because he doesn't know who I like. He's like a child not knowing what's for dinner or when we will be leaving for the zoo.

"Can you get your nose out of that book and tell me already?" Alex seemed annoyed; he was begging for information. How could I keep this going? I'm dying inside. I've never kept anything from him, like he knows when I'm menstruating and he knows my schedule. I don't do anything fun, I have a schedule for my life, if it's not how it's suppose to be then I flip out.

I looked up from my book, "No," I simply said. I began to giggle watching his face tense up in anger.

"Annabeth tell me! We're best friends! We tell each other everything!"

"No we don't. You never told me who you liked!" ohhh and the truth comes out.

Before he could say anything our friends walked over, mocking our conversation; laughing about it. They always thought when we argued about little things it made us "cute". Joe always thought Alex and I would be a cute couple, but she knew I liked him. Jamie always thought it was weird, he would always comment on our relationship moments.

"So have are you two gotten together yet? You guys act like it anyways." Joe giggled. She thought it was funny every time she said it.

No and we never will. We're to close." I lied. I wanted to be with him so bad, to the point I was going to ask him out myself. I couldn't spend a day not thinking about him, thinking about our last sleepover. Thinking about what it was like when he held me last, that kiss, ugh stop he will know something is distracting me.

"Yea right! You won't even tell me who you like," Alex protested.

"Fine. Ill tell you," I paused and waited until he finished cheering. He did a goofy, cant dance, move. I had to think fast, "I like...Jamie"

Joe began bursting into laughter. Jamie was cracking up as well. Alex stopped dancing and was startled, "Wait what?" Alex sat down in his chair to go over what just happened.

Jamie was attractive; underneath his glasses were a green eyed, buff, sexy nerd. He didn't play sports, but he did work out. He had tattoos down his arms and his torso. I have no idea why he hid behind glasses and extremely fancy clothes, but he did.

"You like Jamie?" Alex asks. He was so hurt, I wanted to tell him the truth but I couldn't. Not in front of all my friends...how could I explain to Jamie I was just kidding, Joe whispered in Jamie's ear and Jamie nodded. Joe began laughing again, she was laughing so hard she actually fell out of her chair.

"What is so funny Joe?" Alex was pissed.

"Why are you so pissed Alex? Obviously I'm a better suit for Anna" Jamie joked

Alex didn't say anything. He got up from the red cotton chair, threw his black leather backpack over his shoulder and stormed out of the library as the bell rang.

"So why was he pissed?" I asked Jamie. Jamie chuckled.

"No reason," He took off after Alex.

Joe and I started walking to our lockers, when we approached a pink envelope on my locker. I couldn't imagine whom it came from, but I was eager to open it. Joe was skeptical about opening it.

The letter read:

Annabeth,

Happy Birthday to the coolest girl I know! You're so smart and you are so cute with your glasses. Even though you don't need them, you're still cute. When I look at you, my heart skips a beat. Happy 16th!

Can't wait to see you in science class.

Aw that was cute! Wait. I have science class with Alex and Jamie! Ugh this cant be happening. Okay, breath. Science is last period. Just go to class and act like nothing happened. I turned towards Joe and finally spoke, "Who wrote this?" That's fantastic Annabeth, way to give up on the idea of it.

"I don't know.... maybe Alex?" Joe guessed.

No this isn't his handwriting. Ugh this cant be happening. The bell rang, Joe and I cursed under our breath and ran to class. We found our seats and got out our laptops for notes. Voices started rummaging through my head. They sounded like my classmates; I looked around. No one was talking