Chapter 5

I decided to walk to school today, well walk to the bus stop. It takes twenty minutes to get to the bus; I needed the space. Alex kept texting me cute things, I ignored them. I finally decided to turn back around and call my mom telling her I wasn't going to school today. We were just reviewing anyways. She was ok with that; I never skipped school so she didn't mind. So much for my perfect attendance. I even went to school when everyone had the flu, which I didn't at the time. Can you say good girl?

I threw my bags on the table and changed into jogging clothes. I put on my headphones and left the house. I don't know where I'm going to run to, I'm just going to run.

My music was blasting and I was at a good pace, I was relieved that I didn't have to deal with school. I was away from everyone and I was free. My mind began to wonder though. I began to think about last night. I began to realize that Alex and Jonathan were just like me. I know they could read minds, but what else can they do? I had to figure it out. I started to pick up my speed and head towards the school, which was only four or five blocks from where I was. Getting so close to the school, the police show up. I'm five hundred feet from the school. What the hell do you want?

"Can I help you?" I asked pulling my purple rhinestone headphones out of my ears.

"Yea, are you suppose to be in school right now?" He asked. He was pretty attractive for a police officer. He had green eyes, brown choppy hair, he even had a little stubble along his perfectly lined jar.

"I'm on my way," I smiled at him.

"Good, lets hope we don't run into each other again. Oh, you do have a shirt in your locker right? You can't go into school like that." He smiled and drove away. I looked down and saw I only had a pink sports bra and purple spandex on. I groaned and went to school anyways. When I walked in, everyone stared at me. I walked through the halls quickly and found Alex at his locker. He freaked out when he saw me.

"Whoa! Have you heard of a shirt?" Alex threw his jacket at me, "Why haven't you answered any of my texts? It's fifth period! You are never late to school!" Alex was enraged.

"Last time I checked my father died when I was 4. I need to talk to you and Jonathan." I crossed my arms, not even bothering to zip up his jacket.

"Why? We talked last night." Alex leaned against his locker.

"Because there are things I need to know."

"Wait! Annabeth Know-It-All doesn't know something." Joe walks up shouting, "Hey nice look, is it Halloween?"

"Haha very funny. No, I was jogging. I wasn't going to come to school today but I need to talk to Alex and Jonathan about a project." Alex and I walked away to find Jonathan in the Chemistry Lab. The room was empty, so we just closed the door so no one walking by could hear our conversation.

"You guys have it too." I proclaimed.

"Have what?" Jonathan questioned.

"Mind-reading...powers. I don't know what to call it. But you guys can do it too."

"I thought you knew that?" Alex looked very confused.

"I do. Just, what else do you guys do? I know there's more." I had to know, there was no "there's nothing else," there had to be an answer.

"What else is there to tell?" Alex asked. Okay this is getting really old.

"You guys have...powers. I wanna know what they are. List them. You guys aren't dumb. You both are in all honors classes." I crossed my arms and leaned against the island.

"Let's just tell the girl. Come on. You knew this day would come." Jonathan tried persuading Alex. All Alex did was lean against the board behind me and motioned Jonathan to speak.

"Look Alex and I have only hated each other for years because that's how we were, programed. We were test tube babies, brothers if you will. By the age 4 we were very similar, but very different. He can control fire, but I can control ice. He's very aggressive, but I'm calm. You were a combination of both. We were told to look after you. No we are not related in anyway. They just used the same chemicals for your so called powers. No blood relationship. We started to get feelings for you around eighth grade. They wanted to pull us out of protecting you. Alex demanded we stay with you. Keep your powers under control. You will be able to control far more than us. We all can read minds, have super speed, we can even manipulate peoples emotions, but you you're special." Jonathan stopped talking for a moment. I was trying so hard to grasp the thought of me being special or my boyfriend/best friend, or even the biggest jock of the school.

"You can do much more than John and I," Alex spoke up, "Anna you can control light, fire, ice, water, pretty much all of earths elements. You are going to be able to pick up twenty times the average body builder can. You are able to fly, your wings haven't grown in yet, but they will. You have so much potential. Are you going to let us help you?"

I thought for a while. I couldn't make a decision, I didn't know how. "Okay," was all I could get out. I couldn't stay; I had to leave. I ran out of the room and ran down the people filled halls. Book-bags made bruises, people fell, someone even tried to trip me. I ran all the way back home with tears in my eyes.

It was nine o'clock and my mom was just arriving home. "Hey sweetheart, how was your day off?" She put the groceries on the laminate kitchen counter.

"Fine. I had to talk to Alex and Jonathan for a moment, so I ended up going to school for a few minutes, but then I can back home. How was work?" I asked. I was sitting at the table drinking tea. My mom walked in and sat across from me.

"It was fine. Nothing happened today –"

"Why didn't you tell me I was supernatural?" I interrupted her.

"I'm sorry, I don't follow." Just play dumb, she will think she's crazy, my mother thought.

"Playing dumb won't get you very far mother. I'm not crazy either. A fireball came out of my hand yesterday."

"You must have dreamt it," my mother protested. I stood up and pushed the tv stand with little effort. A burn mark sat on the wall shoulder high.

"Am I crazy now mother!? I moved a two hundred-pound TV stand with little effort. There's a burn mark the size of a softball halfway up the wall. Stop playing dumb and talk!" I screamed.

She pondered for a moment. I didn't dare hear what she was thinking. I knew what she was thinking; it wasn't pretty.

"Fine! You have...powers. You can do weird things. You were an experiment; I took you home. You couldn't live in a laboratory. What do you want me to say? I'm sorry that you have powers. I wish I could take them back? Or that this is your destiny? You have a duty to do? This isn't a comic book."

"Why did you keep this from me?" I couldn't look at her. I stared at the ground and tried not to let the tears in my eyes fall out.

"I thought you wouldn't know you had these powers. I thought if they were drained from you, you'd be ok. I though-"

"Wait? Drained from me? You had my powers drained?"

"No we never made it to the doctors. You ran home."

"So I still have all my powers?"

"Yes," my mom couldn't look at me now. She was so disappointed in herself; she couldn't look up.

"Good, I'm going to my room. Don't talk to me for a while," I ran upstairs.

I sat on my bed wondering what all I could do. I sat up, and took a breath in. I threw a fireball with my left hand. A smirk ran across my face; I took in another breath and threw an ice-ball with my right hand. I started to laugh. I let out a breath and it was a tornado in my room. I began laughing again. The wind stopped and I felt sleepy.

I crawled into be and turned the light off by flicking my finger in the air. I feel into a deep sleep with a grin across my face.