Ch. 7

"Do you have to leave?" Gina whined as I pulled on my riding boots.

"Yes! I can't miss my lesson! I might ride New Moon again," I said.

"Ugh, fine, but text me when you're done," she said, and I hugged her.

"Okay, I will," I promised, and let go. "Thanks again for everything."

"Come over anytime," Gina smiled, and I walked out of her front door, and into my parents' car.

"Hey," I said cautiously to both of my parents (what?!), as I piled into the car.

"Hi Faith! How was Gina's?" Mom asked sweetly. I had the feeling she knew that the reason I had gone over there was because of their argument.

"It was fun. We did makeovers and mani-pedis. We also watched a few movies," I said, then asked, "Why are both of you here?"

"Well, I know your mom usually comes to your lessons, but I wanted to come watch one of your practices. I think it's great that you're on their equestrian team," Dad said.

"Oh, okay," I said. I know that Dad is proud of me, and he does like to watch me ride, but something's up. But I don't want to ask about it; I don't want to arouse an argument.

"Who do you think you're gonna ride?" Dad asked as we pulled into Desert Flower's driveway.

"Either Stormy or New Moon. I'm really hoping for New Moon!" I said excitedly.

"Isn't that the name of the horse you keep asking us to buy you?" Mom asked, looking at Dad.

"Yeah," is all I said, then Dad parked the car, and I hopped out, clutching my helmet. "Let's go see who I'm riding," I suggested, trying to ease the tension that somehow seeped into the car.

Dad smiled, and he and Mom followed me into the barn.

We went straight to the board with the names of who is riding who on it.

I looked down the list. FAITH: NEW MOON.

"I'm riding New Moon!" I said, and then said, "I'll show you guys to his stall."

"Mom, I know you have seen Moon, but now it's Dad's turn to see him," I said as we walked to his stall. "Here he is," I said, and opened his stall door. I led him to some cross ties, trying to show him off.

My parents watched and whispered to each other as I got Moon ready for our lesson. "You guys can go to the bleachers and watch from there," I said awkwardly as I saw them give each other looks.

Then Mom smiled. "We can't wait to watch you ride. You're going to be great!" Mom cheered.

I gave her a small smile. "Mom, it's just a practice," I giggled.

"We know, but we are just excited to watch you," my dad said, a noticeably less excited as my mom was. Mom shot him a look.

"Let's go, Richard," Mom said in a tone of voice that meant 'stop talking and let's go'.

My parents walked to the bleachers, and I led Moon to the indoor arena. Before we went in, I gave Moon a hug. I really needed the love from a horse right now.

Moon pinned his ears back, and tugged his neck away. I frowned even more. Not the response I was quite hoping for.

We entered the ring, and I mounted Moon. I had to use the big mounting block; Moon stood at a height of 16.2 hands. I climbed up on top of him, and started him at a walk. When his muscles felt loose, I pushed him into a trot. After a few circuits at a trot, I had him canter, and we flew around the ring!