Ch. 16

Today is my first day of practice for volleyball.

I quickly got ready, and then Dad drove me to the gym. I hopped out of the car and walked into the gym, showing the membership card to the lady at the front desk. I walked to Court 9 and saw a few girls warming up and 2 coaches. I walked up to them and decided to introduce myself, since I was joining the team and all.

"Hi, my name is Faith, and I'm the new addition to the team," I said in my sweetest voice, and the coaches smiled at me.

"Hi Faith! We're so happy that you joined our team. I'm Coach Joan and this is Coach Sandra. You can start stretching and warming up," said Coach Joan, and I nodded and smiled. I sat down on the floor a good few yards away from the coaches and began to stretch.

After a few minutes of stretching, the coach blew a whistle, and I ran to the group huddle.

"Everybody, this is Faith, the new member of the team," Coach Sandra smiled, and all at once girls started saying hey and hello.

I smiled and said hi, and then we got on with hour and a half long practice.

We worked on passing, hitting, and serving. My position was defensive specialist, which means I play in the back row.

An hour and a half later, I said goodbye to my new friends and coaches, and walked out of the gym, where Mom was waiting for me.

"Hey Faith! How was practice?" Mom asked as she started the car and drove out of the parking lot.

"It was good, my position is defensive specialist, which means I'm in the back row and play defense," I informed Mom, and she nodded while I told her about practice.

As we were pulling into our driveway, I couldn't take it any longer. I had to know if she and Kayla had talked about a compromise!

"So," I started, trying to be casual. "Anything interesting happen while I was gone?"

"Well, I unloaded the dishes and mopped the floor," Mom said. Not the response I was hoping for. "Oh! And I also got an email from Kayla."

My eyes widened, ready for good news. "And?" I prodded on.

"She said she was willing to lower the lesson fees for you if you continued to work at the stable, and I talked to your dad about it," Mom started.

"Aaanndd?" I asked. Suspense is not my thing!

"Well, don't get your hopes up. Dad isn't buying it, and he really just wants to keep it to one sport right now, since money's tight and all," she said.

Not the response I was looking for. 

At.

All.