Chapter Nine

So I'm pretty sure some of you might hate me right now, I know at least one of you do.. but you may  like me more after this chapter, hopefully.

*Elizabeth's point of view*

I stared at him, my hands still holding onto his, eyes locked with his. What was he even talking about? There was no way he was serious. He was playing a prank on me, him and Ian joking around, trying to freak me out. He was in love with Jamie, they were going to get married. Josh and the other band members would stand up with Matt, I would sit front row with Megan and Kim, it would be great. I knew there was no way he was serious.

"Matt, what are you talking about? You love Jamie". He let go of my hands, turning back towards the kitchen.

"Matt, you can't just ignore me".

"I'm sorry, Ellie. I shouldn't have even said anything. Fuck. I'm so sorry". He continued to speak but I couldn't hear him, he wouldn't turn around.

"Matt, just talk to me".

"I'm sorry, Ellie".

"Matt, turn around and fucking look at me"!

He spun around, eyes wide. I had never screamed at him, unless it was in a playful way. But this was the first time I had ever actually been mad at him. 

"When did you decide you loved me exactly"? I asked, much quieter.

He looked down at the ground, refusing to meet my eyes. "11th grade, at the party after exams". A smile played on his lips, as if he were picturing the night in his mind. The thing was I was picturing it too.

*Flashback 10 years ago*

"Who's up for spin the bottle"? someone shouted from the basement. It was January, just after exams. We were at a party, I wasn't sure whose, only that they were a friend of Josh's. 

"Rick, we're not 12", Josh shouted back as he walked up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist and resting his chin on my shoulder.

"C'mon, Josh. It could be fun", I said as I giggled, his chin digging into my neck slightly tickling me.

"If you insist", he said. I felt his arms tighten around my waist as he lifted me up and over to the couch, where he placed me on his lap. I giggled again, leaning back on his chest.

"Are we doing this or what"? Matt walked over with an empty beer bottle in hand and a mischievous grin on his face.

"Fine", Josh mumbled, pushing me up. We took our spots on the floor, arranged in a circle by Rick.

"Who wants to go first"? Rick asked, holding up the bottle.

After a few moments of silence, Josh gave in. "I'll go", he muttered, taking the beer bottle reluctantly.

"Ok, rules. You have to kiss whoever the bottle lands on, no matter what".

Josh placed the bottle on the floor and gave it a spin, it made a circle once or twice before landing on Matt. Everyone started to crack up.

"No way"! both boys shouted at the same time, only making everyone laugh even harder.

I wrapped my arm around Josh's, clinging to him for a second. "Don't worry Joshy, I won't get jealous", I said with a wink.

"You should, Ellie. I'm an amazing kisser".

I laughed at Matt, untangling myself from Josh. "It's only one little kiss boys. And besides, rules are rules".

After a few moments of arguing, they gave in. Josh leaned forward into the middle of the circle, pecking Matt on the lips. This was of course followed by a chorus of sarcastic "oooohs" from all the party goers.

"You all suck", Josh said as he took his spot back beside me.

"Whatever, my turn"! Matt called as he spun the bottle. It spun around for about 5 seconds before landing on me.

Another chorus of "oooohs" sounded, my face turning pink. Matt leaned back, thinking  I wasn't going to do it. But I leaned forward across the circle and kissed him. It had lasted longer than i expected, but it was just a kiss. It felt like I was kissing my brother or something.

When we parted, Matt's face had been extremely pink.

*End of Flashback*

"I guess it's been ever since then, and after you left I just forgot about it and moved on. But now you're back and I have all these mixed emotions and I just can't marry Jamie if I'm not 100 percent sure she's the person I love".

He sat down at the kitchen table, head in hands, defeated. I sat down beside him, leaning close. 

"Kiss me", I whispered.

He looked up from his hands. "What"?

"I said kiss me. You might think you love me, but it's been almost ten years since that kiss. So do it, kiss me".

His face turned beet red as he slowly looked away. I let out a groan of frustration and took his face in my hands, smashing my lips against his. It was exactly the same as it had been in 11th grade, just a bland kiss full of nothing. 

I pulled away from Matt, and he instantly stood up

"Well"? I asked impatiently.

He turned towards me, smiling. "Nothing", he declared.

I smiled at him as I got up to give him a hug. "I knew it, Matty. I knew you were in love with Jamie".

We parted, and his smile vanished. "How do I get her to marry me though? We were in a pretty big fight when I left, she told me not to come home. What if she doesn't love me anymore"?

I pulled him into another hug, squeezing him tight. "We'll figure this out, I promise".

-

An hour later, we were laying upside down on my bed, talking about anything and everything, just like we did back in high school. He told me about how he was working on a bit of a solo career away from the band, and some of the shows that Marianas Trench were doing in Vancouver this week.

"How were you planning on proposing"? I ask, flipping onto my stomach.

"I'm not sure", he says, copying me as he rolls over on the bed. "All I know is that I wanted to do something big. Not that I'll ever top Josh's proposal to you".

I blushed, thinking back to the day he proposed. It was during their first tour for Fix Me. I was backstage, when Josh started to sing My List by the Killers. It was my favourite song at the time, and I remember standing backstage smiling like an idiot. That's when Ian came backstage and lifted me up, bringing me onstage. And Josh proposed. 

That's when i got the idea. "Matty, do you trust me"?

"Not really", he said, a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

"You're my best friend, right"?

"Of course".

I rolled over on my side, smiling at him. "Then you have to trust me when I say I have the best plan ever".

The ending is terrible I'm so sorry! But hopefully you like me more :p

Next chapter should be out soon :) baibaiiii