Chapter Fifteen

*Josh's point of view*

I drove down the street, pushing the speed limit. I wasn't really sure as to where I was going, I just needed to clear my mind. Eventually I pulled off the main road and over to the side of a street in a nice suburban area. Slowly I got out of the car and walked a bit down the street, hoping to figure out where I was.

As I got further and further down the street, I realized I had driven to my old neighbourhood. I thought about all the good memories I had here, and the bad. All my friends, my family. All the people I cared about somehow tied into this street.

The ringing of my phone interrupted my train of thought; I reached into the pocket of my coat to pull it out.

"Hello"? I answered, slowly making my way back to my car.

"Josh? Thank God. It's Jamie, I've been looking everywhere for you. Where did you run off to"?

"I took a drive around the city, trying to clear my head".

A moment past before anyone said anything. I reached my car and climbed into the drivers seat, not bothering to turn it on.

"Matt told me about what happened between you and Ellie, Josh".

Of course that's why she was calling.

"Yeah", I replied, buckling my seat belt clumsily with one hand. "I think I fucked up pretty bad this time. I'm just gonna steer clear, she probably doesn't want to see me".

"You don't get it, do you"? she said. I heard people talking in the background for a moment, but it quickly died off.

"Josh, I know what you've been through. We've talked about it time after time. And I know you know exactly how Ellie is feeling right now. She's scared; and at the moment, alone. And you also know that no matter how big a fight, if it was you in that hospital bed again, you'd want her there with you".

Jamie was right. I thought back to when I was lying in the hospital bed. I was there for ten days, and for the first few days all Ellie and I ever did was shout at each other. The first night had been good, she had been there for me. But after that things went downhill a bit. She stopped showing up all the time, and it just made it worse.

"I'll be down at the hospital in an hour, Jamie".

-

*Elizabeth's point of view*

I laid in bed, watching the sun start to rise over Vancouver. I had been up for awhile, Matt had left over an hour ago with Jamie. So I just laid in bed, staring at the gorgeous colours of the early morning sky. My hands itched for my paints. 

I closed my eyes, trying to get back to sleep. This was how I would spend the rest of my life. Sleeping. Didn't sound too bad.

A knock at the door forced me to open my eyes. I looked up to see Josh standing just outside the door, still looking exhausted.

"Hi"; I said, feeling awkward after how our last conversation had ended.

"Hi", he replied, striding into the room. I twisted the ring on my finger, unsure of what to say.

"How are you feeling today"? he asked, sitting beside my bed.

I shrugged; "not any different from yesterday really'.

He nodded, looking down at the floor. We sat for a while, not saying anything. After a while of the silence I began to drift off.

A sudden dip in the bed brought me out of my half- asleep state. Josh lay beside me, face inches from mine. He smiled, a sad smile that was too forced.