Chapter Nine-Dealing with loss

Pearl had never been good at dealing with loss.

Now that Rose was gone, she could only see the bad things on earth. Humans destroy their ecosystem, and they have yet to be able to travel across the galaxy.

Rose loved this planet. Pearl didn't.

But sometimes, she'd see something that Rose loved, and she'd start to cry.

About humans, weather, Greg...

One day, she was sitting on the hill, looking out to sea.

"Pearl, you know you and I aren't that different. " Pearl laughed.

"I hardly think so, Greg. " He sat down next to her.

"You thought wrong." He said.

"Fine. So just how alike are we?"

"We both loved Rose." Pearl stiffened. Love. A human emotion. "I guess I did hold affection for Rose..." Greg pulled her into a hug, squeezing her tight. She was shocked. He started crying.

"Pearl, I can't do this, I miss her so much!" He sobbed. Pearl started crying.
"Me too, Greg." They sat in the embrace until They stopped crying.

"Pearl, I don't think I'm ready to be a father for Steven, he needs to live with you guys to learn about his gem heritage. " He said.

"You're right, Rose wanted me to be a mother for Steven, and by avoiding him I'm going back on my promise! "

"Rose made you promise to raise my son? " Greg asked. Pearl nodded. "Well, maybe you can raise him like a gem, and I'll raise him like a human. It'll be like he has a real mother and father..."

Real mother and father...

Something pearl had never had. On earth, a mother and father are life mates. She grabbed Greg's hand.

"Maybe we can bond over our love of Rose..."