Chapter 18: "C.H.I.P. Grows Up"

This was the moment of truth.

C.H.I.P. and I knew we had to do something fast, or everything was really over. But when C.H.I.P. tried to change from being the electronics guy to a karate guy, he couldn't do it! Gert von Brugen must've messed up his programming when she was fooling around with my phone!

But then I noticed something on the floor – my phone! Gert had dropped it while the Fuzzies were dragging her out. I dove for the phone and quickly changed C.H.I.P. from the electronics guy into a karate guy!

In a cool karate move, C.H.I.P. jumped up and grabbed his zip line, which was still hanging from the ceiling. He swung over and kicked Seth Mindwarp in the chest, knocking him to the floor!

I got to work again fast at the computer console. But then the Fuzzies started to move in on me and C.H.I.P.!

We were so close to winning... but I didn't think we were going to make it!

Stella came up on the phone. "Where've you guys been?!" I told her I didn't exactly have time to explain.

The Fuzzies started to crawl up C.H.I.P. and drag him down! On the floor, he wrestled with them, but those things are really strong when they get together.

I realized I needed to make C.H.I.P. the wrestler again, but that's when Seth got back up and came for me! I was so nervous, I could barely work my phone!

But I finally did it, and C.H.I.P. turned into the wrestler just in time. He threw off all the Freaky Fuzzies and jumped back up. Then he picked up Seth Mindwarp and spun him around on his shoulders! Seth went cross-eyed, and C.H.I.P. hurled him across the room!

"URGH!" Seth Mindwarp was out for the count!

I knew I was supposed to be concentrating on shutting down the Freaky Fuzzy network, but I couldn't help jumping up and cheering C.H.I.P. That move was so cool!

Finally, I settled in at the computer console to shut the system down for good. Seth Mindwarp had passed out, but the Freaky Fuzzies were still a true threat to mankind. And I needed C.H.I.P. to fend them off while I worked – but I didn't know what skill he should use to do it! Something told me he needed to be something more than just a wrestler, something faster. The fact was that only he could change himself into what would work best, as he'd done before.

So I had to stop working at the computer console and reprogram my phone first. And all this with Freaky Fuzzies moving in on me fast!

But I fixed the code just in time, and C.H.I.P. immediately turned into a tennis pro! (See? I would've never thought of that.) He started smacking the Fuzzies away with his tennis racquet, one after another, like tennis balls. (He had a really great backhand!)

But even he had a hard time keeping up with the onslaught of crazy furry toys.

Then the door burst open, and in came the Fuzzies from all over the city! Their hypnotized kid owners were right behind them, and they soon had C.H.I.P. and me surrounded. They were closing in fast! Nothing could stop them! 

 They were closing in fast! Nothing could stop them! 

A few of the Fuzzies started getting through to us. I could feel them climbing up my legs! I was just about to shut down the network – but the Freaky Fuzzies were now at my arms, tugging away, trying to stop me!

Finally, I typed my last line of code, and I reached for the "Enter" button – but then one Freaky Fuzzy actually bit me!

That's when I snapped. "Get off of me, you Freaky Furball!"

I flung the Fuzzy across the room...

...and hit "Enter"!

Suddenly, everything went silent.

The Freaky Fuzzies stopped chanting and froze in their tracks.

And all the kids in the room (and all over the city) snapped out of their trance and rubbed their eyes, wondering where they were.

C.H.I.P. and I were both out of breath. We looked around at all the deactivated Fuzzies and confused kids. Then we looked at each other.

We'd done it! We'd saved the city... and the world!

Stella cheered us from my phone. Then we joined in, finally able to let go.

But something was missing – Chip. After all, C.H.I.P. wasn't really C.H.I.P., he was Chip, my best friend. So I grabbed my phone and changed C.H.I.P. back into Chip.

Chip was once again his lazy, silly self. He smiled and said his favorite part of the whole adventure was smacking the Fuzzies away like tennis balls.

I told him he should be proud of himself for saving Vortville... but I reminded him that he had to keep all this a secret. He frowned a bit but finally said okay... and that he was really hungry.

I told him I'd buy him a cookie.