Chapter 19: "Back to Normal... Kind Of"

So, you save the world one day...

...and the next day, you still have to go to school.

All everybody was talking about was how C.H.I.P. had saved the world from the Freaky Fuzzies. The newspapers were calling Seth Mindwarp a twenty-first century Pied Piper who tried to steal everybody's kids. And right there next to the articles were security camera images of C.H.I.P. fighting off Seth and the Fuzzies in Seth's office. (For secret-identity reasons, I had made sure earlier to delete all the videos with me and Gert von Brugen in them.)

Once again, my dad was really angry

Once again, my dad was really angry. He felt it was his job to stop crazy bad guys, and he insisted he would've eventually gotten out of the laser jail cell by himself and stopped Seth's evil plan. But there was nothing he could do about it. It was C.H.I.P. who had saved him. And C.H.I.P. was everybody's hero now, not my dad.

And Dad wouldn't be able to find C.H.I.P. to stop him anyway! Now that was the big thing everybody was talking about – where was C.H.I.P. when he wasn't fighting some crazy bad guy? Everybody had their own ideas, especially the kids at school. Maybe he lived in some secluded fortress somewhere! Maybe he sailed around on his own private yacht!

Or maybe he had some kind of secret identity where he just became someone else, and nobody knew it was really C.H.I.P.

I let people wonder.

Especially Gert von Brugen.

Gert was blabbing all over school that she knew the hero guy was actually a superandroid and that she saw everything that went down at Mindwarp Industries last night. Luckily, nobody believed her. And she still didn't know that C.H.I.P. was really Chip. And she also still didn't know that I had actually created C.H.I.P.!

But she knew I knew something and wasn't telling. And she wasn't going to rest until I told her everything.

I braced for the endless nagging that was sure to come.

Yes, I was dying to tell Carla Mawhinney - again. And Chip was dying to tell everybody - again. But we thought better of it this time. We just privately enjoyed the fact that someone I created – and someone Chip became – had saved the world.

And we didn't even have to destroy half of it in the process.

But also, I knew that this wouldn't be the last time the world would need C.H.I.P. There would always be crazy bad guys. And where there were crazy bad guys...

...there would always be C.H.I.P.

###

(Note: Buy the fully-illustrated hardcover book WORLDWIDE by clicking the "External link" below!)

(If you like this book, check out the SEQUEL right here on Wattpad by just clicking on my name!)