Chapter 10: Temporarily Sane

Give me love like never before,
'cause lately I've been craving more

Chapter 10: Temporarily Sane

Vaas had stayed up all night, listening to Myra cry softly. She was trying to make it subtle, but she couldn't. To accentuate this situation that Vaas was still questioning, a thunderstorm had started in the night. Every time there was thunder or lightening, Vaas heard Myra whimper. She was scared of lightning? Impossible! He still didn't know why he saved her from getting raped when he had tried to rape her himself. It had already been two weeks since she was here, and she was still alive. The only reason for which he kept her, was to study her, see if she was what he thought she was. 

She was cold, so cold. Even in this tropical weather, her skin had an underside of frozen ice. He didn't like it. He hated it, wanted to burn her into a fire if he ever could.

As he sat on a chair, he replayed the conversation he had had with Hoyt a year ago. He was sitting in his office, poking a cigar in and out of his mouth, enjoying the feeling. He had been feeling so numb these past days, like nothing was interesting. He was getting tired of killing, killing, and killing, and getting nothing in return except money. Yes, he enjoyed torturing above all, he loved to create some new designs on peoples faces, but it wasn't enough. He wanted more. "You're getting lonely," Hoyt had said, his croaky voice and accent mingling with the smoke in the air. Vaas scoffed. 

"Lonely? I've got all the whores in Bad Town. I never get lonely," he spat, slumping in his wooden chair. Hoyt had laughed, picking up a cigar. 

"No, those bitches aren't what you need," he answered, spiking Vaas' interest... and anger.

"You don't know what I fucking need," he answered, trying hard not to let the anger show in his tone. Hoyt scoffed. 

"You need a woman like you. A Queen," he stated. Vaas' ears perked up at that. "You need to find a woman that can rule the island with you, to be your own twisted Queen." Vaas frowned. This was his island and he didn't like to share.

"I'm not sharing my island with a fucking woman," he spat back, putting the cigar in his mouth. Hoyt shook his head.

"No, no. What I'm saying is you don't need to share it, just..." He hesitated, looking for the right words. "You're a king and every king needs his queen," he answered, looking through some files on his messy desk.

"Huh?" Vaas was now totally confused.

"Pick a woman just like you," Hoyt said, now entirely immersed in his files. His voice was just a mumble. "Make sure she's just as fearless, reckless, and ready for anything, or else she's not queen material. Open your eyes Vaas, she's out there." And with that the boss dismissed his employee. 

Vaas had looked everywhere since his conversation with Hoyt. It had perked his interest. He liked the idea of making this island ruled by a king... and a queen. He liked it very much. He wouldn't share one bit, but he would enjoy having a woman as fearless, bad, and reckless as him at his side. During the year, many women came to the island. Most of them were blond bimbos, screaming when they saw a fucking spider. They never lasted long, even when Vaas tried to be interested, he just felt like killing them. And he did. The other type of women that came were the ones that tried to be bad, but broke two days after being in this jungle. That's what Vaas did. He broke people, enjoyed it, and harvested the emotions afterwards. Those girls who pretended they were bad and fearless, ended up begging for their mamas and papas. They weren't what he was looking for. Until Myra came along.

He used the pet excuse to keep her here and study her. She was truly fearless and reckless, but there was something else too, something soft that he wanted to harden, see if she would last. He wanted to turn the cold, icy field into an exploding volcano. When she had killed that man, she wanted to touch his hair. Vaas had been so surprised, but hid it. He wanted to know more of what was going on inside her head, figure out what her darkness was. Myra was a mystery he wanted to solve.
****