Chapter 30: Hide and Seek You Say?

The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits.

Chapter 30: Hide and Seek You Say?

A loud thudding woke Myra up. With the headache smashing against her skull, a gleam of sweat covering her body and a metallic taste on her tongue, the young woman rolled on her side with her eyes still closed. She felt around with her arm for an extra body, the usual extra body, but came up empty. Instead, she was met with a cold cot and a headless pillow. Where was Vaas?

She slowly opened her eyes and damned the sunlight for being so fucking bright. There was no one in the shanty, except for Bella, who slept on the desk, her head tucked between her front paws. A small gleam of dust floated in the sun light, itching in the back of Myra's throat badly. How many nights had ended in a morning like this, hung over and naked on the cot? In the past three weeks, every single night had been getting drunk with the boys and ending up in bed with Vaas, which was always great. The mornings were all the same, empty bed, coffee on the night table and the annoying thudding in the head. Myra didn't complain about it, it was pretty much all she ever wanted. 

Her eyes traveled the usual path from the wall to the night table, where a hot coffee rested in a rusted mug. A smile crept onto her lips and she sat up ever so slowly, groaning and squinting her eyes to avoid throwing up and submitting to the hangover. Her hands gripped the cup and she stood with the small blanket wrapped around her. Concentrating on not falling, the young woman dressed in a black t-shirt and trousers. With the elsatic band on her wrist, she tied her hair back in a pony tail, and chugged the last of her coffee. 

A loud thud turned her away from the mirror, the tooth brush in her mouth, the water of the sink running. A familiar little man stood in the door, the light coming from behind hiding part of his face in the shadows. Familiar brown hair and a little nose brought Myra back to the first night that the Rakyat had attacked, where she had saved a man called Lucio. "Lucio?" she squeaked, taking the tooth brush out of her foaming mouth. He grinned, a boy-ish look taking over his boy-ish features. You get it, he's boy-ish. 

"Hey!" he said, too loud for the small shanty. Bella perked up from her perch on the desk, getting onto her four legs and stretching. She had grown, a lot, in the past three weeks. She still ate the left overs, and Myra dreaded the thought of having to train a tiger cub to hunt. Didn't they learn that by themselves? Sure Bella wondered off in the jungle all the time, but she never came back with a blood nose or with anything dead. Guess she's one of those tardies, Myra sighed internally, passing water in her mouth and spitting it out. "Long time no see. I see things have changed!" Lucio pipped in, stepping deeper in the shanty. Myra chuckled, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. 

"Yeah, since like almost two months ago, yes," she replied, chuckling again as Lucio rolled his eyes sarcastically.

"Vaas had me transfered to another camp," he told her, crossing his arms over his chest. His red tank top was stained with... oil? His cargo pants had wood dust all over them, and so did his boots. "He called he back for today?"

"Why today?" Myra asked, watching Bella drop from the desk and make her way outside casually. Lucio eyes the tiger before giving his answer.

"Wait 'till you see this," he urged, broad smile stretching his lips. 

Myra frowned suspiciously. "See what?" a little part of Myra was getting a bit tired of always being kept in the dark on this island. 

"I'm not supposed to tell ya 'cause it's a surprise, but we've barricaded the camp-"

"Barricaded the camp?" Myra asked in shock, eyes widening. Lucio chuckled, throwing his head back. 

"We're playing the annual hide and seek with the hostages," he replied, rushing the words so the brunette wouldn't interupt him. "We barricade the village so we keep 'em all in the same place, you know."