Chapter 15: Bad Town

"'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'

'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.

'You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here."

Chapter 15: Bad Town

The dream started out in Myra's old high school. She didn't understand why she was standing in the dim lit hallway, watching the student body zoom by her in a blur. Her head was whipping side to side, searching for any recognizable faces, but failed. Her heart was beating so fast, she felt like it may burst straight out of her chest. She could feel it thumping against her breast bone, beating the bone away to be able to burst into the air. Myra gripped her chest, pushing on it to make her heart stay in. The blur of students was noisy, creating a thudding sound in Myra's ear. Then the hallway went dark, her heart slowed, and the sounds ended.

Myra twisted her body around, searching the dark for any sign of life. The darkness surrounded her, enveloping her silhouette into a tunnel of pitch black. The fear gripped her at once, twisting inside her stomach and surging into her blood, carrying itself around her crouched body. She whimpered in the silence, squeezing her eyes shut and praying for the sudden fear to leave. "Please," she whispered, her throat raw and aching. 

"Don't beg when you walk among them."

The voice startled her. She stood, breath catching in her throat as the fear groaned inside her. She clutched a hand on her stomach, crouching back down. She knew there was someone here with her, but she couldn't move, the fear was too painful. 

"Who are you?" she whispered, afraid to speak any louder due to the pains inside her. 

"Jane, did you forget about me?" her sister's voice growled. Jane! Myra wanted to hug her so badly now. Wrap her arms around her neck and inhale the smell of home off her skin. She wanted her sister badly now. 

"Jane!" she said through the darkness. She couldn't see her, and she wanted to. "Where are you? Come here!" She thrashed around in the pitch black, hand still tight around her belly. 

"I won't touch you," Jane spat. Her tone took Myra by surprise. Cold, bitter disgust was poignant in the air. Goosebumps marveled across the brunette's flesh aggressively. "You're with them now."

"No!" Myra shouted. "They took me, Jane, they took me! I didn't decide to go with them!" she protested desperately. So cold. Teeth chattering. Memories of Vaas' big, warm palms pressed against the hollows of her cheeks. There was a silence in which the light came back. They were still in the school hallway, but the students were gone, left behind by one single body. Jane. 

She stood there, her long blond hair sitting perfectly over her shoulders, framing a pale and round face. The light grey in her eyes shone, her lips formed in the familiar heart shape. Her skin was so pale, like a ghost. "Jane," Myra whispered upon seeing her sibling. Myra's eyes were wide open, not wanting to miss any of this. 

"You're a shame, Myra," Jane stated, her face remaining expressionless during all this. Like a cold punch to the gut. Myra frowned, whimpering when the fear inside her groaned even louder. "You have left us behind for the devil himself. Sleeping in the same room as him, laughing with him, killing with him. You are not the sister I knew." Her teeth bared as she said this, revealing a feline state to her face. Myra felt the tears trickling down her cheeks as she squeezed her eyes shut. The tears turned to ice, crystals on her cheeks. "YOU ARE A SHAME TO US, MYRA!" Jane bellowed, her voice sounding like a zillion voices joining at once. Her voice was like a knife, cold sharp edge twisting in Myra's heart.