Chapter 17

"Someone is here to see you, mija!" Camila heard her mother call from downstairs.

In an instant, she flew out of bed and raced down the stairs. She didn't know why, but she found herself partially hoping that it would be Lauren. After Demi's party the night before, she felt awful. She hated seeing Lauren snap at her like that, but she knew she deserved every word that was spoken.

Shortly after her encounter with the green-eyed girl, Camila had left Demi's house, not being able to bear staying out and trying to act happy any longer. She laid in bed that night tossing and turning with Lauren's words replaying over and over again in her mind. Maybe Lauren was right. Maybe Camila didn't deserve to try to help her or be friendly with her anymore. Even though Camila didn't want to be in a relationship with her right now, she had always somewhat hoped that time would heal her wounds and that she and Lauren could possibly start over, even though she knew that was selfish. But now she worried that she ruined her chance if she ever wanted one again.

Camila tried to rid her thoughts of the girl she was in love with when she reached the bottom of the stairs and saw Hailee standing just inside the doorway. She would be lying if she said she wasn't a little disappointed. She missed the way the butterflies stirred in her stomach just by seeing Lauren standing at her door, or the way her heart raced when they were together, or how she always seemed to have to hide the blush that rose on her cheeks when Lauren said something adorable. Hailee made her feel things, but not even close to the extent that Lauren did, no matter how much Camila wished she would.

"I just thought I would stop by and check on you this morning," Hailee said once Sinu had left the two girls alone. "You know, after last night and all. I could tell you were upset. I hope that's okay."

"Yeah, that's completely fine," Camila said with a half smile. She was thankful that Hailee cared enough to come over and check on her, but at the same time she just wanted to sulk in bed all day.

"Do you want to talk about it or anything?" Hailee asked.

"Sure," Camila said hesitantly. She didn't really feel like talking about Lauren to anyone at the moment, especially Hailee, but she didn't want to be rude. "You can come on up to my room if you want."

Hailee nodded her head in agreement and followed the younger girl up to the bedroom. Camila made it a point to move some clothes off of her desk chair, hoping Hailee would get the hint and sit there instead of on her bed. Deep down, it just didn't feel right having someone other than Lauren in her bed, even if they were just sitting on it.

Camila was relieved when Hailee got the picture and sat in the chair, while Camila took a seat on her bed.

"So, that sure was something last night, huh?" Hailee said with a nervous laugh.

"Yeah, I guess it was," Camila responded, keeping her eyes focused on her hands in her lap.

"Has she ever done anything like that before?" Hailee asked. "Because I don't like the way she was talking to you. No matter how drunk or upset she was. That was uncalled for."

"No, she's never done anything like that," Camila answered and for some reason she felt aggravated that Hailee was talking about Lauren like that.

"Are you sure?" Hailee asked.

"I'm positive, Hailee. Sure there were some shitty moments, but she was nothing but amazing to me," Camila said, getting annoyed with the other girl. She didn't want to talk about Lauren, at least not to her.

"I'm sorry that happened to you, though. You didn't deserve that," the older girl said as she looked at Camila with sad eyes.

"I did, though. It's my fault. I hurt her and I should have known that I couldn't just act like nothing happened. She made some good points," Camila sighed. She had always thought her reasons for being upset with Lauren were justified, but after last night, she wasn't so sure anymore. Maybe Camila was overreacting. Maybe she did just make up some of the things in her head to try to protect herself from getting hurt.