Chapter Ten~ Right Here

Chapter Ten

~Right Here~

~Jason~

I tore my way through the deep snow, dodging trees left and right, and spraying slush in my wake.

My dad howled off in the distance again, calling all pack members who weren’t already in wolf form. I checked the sun in the sky; the sun would be setting in about an hour.

Dad! I thought you said moonrise! I thought to him, a little teed off that he took away from my Rose time...even if she hadn’t exactly known who she’d been talking to.

I changed my mind, one of those...things...attacked little Julie. Son, we don’t think she’s going to make it. The pain and, foremost, the guilt, in my father’s voice was tangible thing. Neither of us had known her family really well, but the little girl could always be seen tripping around town, giggling and talking to random strangers; much to her mother’s dismay. She’d been so alive, just four years old, a toddler really.

How did it happen?

I--we don’t know, my dad cut off, but came back a minute later, his voice powerful, full of the alpha’s command. The monster that did this to just an innocent child will regret his decision! His voice was hard, and I understood how he felt!

Who would attack a little girl?! I thought to myself, disgusted by this low-life scum that apparently had taken to killing children. Dammit! What is f*cking wrong with this b*st*rd?! I mentally screamed, snarling out loud

Finally, I reached our gathering place. My dad was standing near the snow-covered ashes of the fire pit in the center of dirt clearing. Were it a part of a national park, this place would’ve made a good place for campers: flat ground, fire pit, trees...Dad looked up and started a bit at my slightly crazed demeanor.

Son! He shouted at me, Control yourself!

Why the hell aren’t you p*ssed?!

Oh, trust me, I’m angry, but we need a cool head to get anything done! He paused his mix of parenting and scolding, We aren’t cavemen, boy! Control your wolf!

I breathed in and out, the air from my mouth puffing in little white clouds around my muzzle. Slowly, my breathing slowed and the muscles in my shoulders and legs unclenched.

Dad, I said, much more reasonable now, what are you planning on doing?

You’ll hear in a second, son. He thought to me before I felt his mind pulling away from mine. I laid down, resting my heavy head on my paws, silently stewing in anger.

Wolves in practically every shade of grey, black, and brown milled around, filling up the small clearing. The pack wasn’t huge, but we had substantial enough numbers. My mind flashed to Rose, I’d felt her presence leave the immediate area soon after I’d seen her, roughly a half an hour ago. In light of the recent danger my wolf and I were very agitated, I could feel him stirring within me, trying to take dominance over our body to go run after her. I couldn’t say I didn’t want to do the same thing, but I had a duty to my pack, and she’d in no immediate danger.