Boarding

Lou and Kaylee got back to Serenity without any trouble. They stopped briefly at a haberdasher shop where Lou traded a tray of eggs and some cheese for a sack of knittingwool and a roll of canvas cloth.
Getting into the cargo bay they met Mal, who on seeing the full trolley lifted his eyebrows in surprise.
"When you said fresh food, I thought you meant a meal or two worth..." he grinned.
Lou shrugged.
"This guy owed me a debt," she smiled.
Kaylee, still holding her strawberries, bounced on her toes.
"You should have seen her, boss... She just went in and took the stuff..." Kaylee chirped, obviously proud to have been part of a daring caper.
"As I say... he owed me," Lou said and shrugged again. "Now, where do I store this food? I hope this bird has some kind of cold-space"
"We'll help you load it up to the kitchen area in a minute," the captain smiled friendly.
Lou nodded and stood to attention as she had learnt to do in the presence of ex browncoat officers. Mal looked at her, nodding approvingly.
Then two more people came in from the spaceport, a man and woman holding hands.
"Wash, Zoe, there you are. You are our last lot, so we are ready to go as soon as you get the engines up.
Kaylee? Will you help Wash get us into the air please? I am sure those strawberries will taste better once we are safely away." The captain smiled.
"First, rules!" He continued.
Lou nodded and smiled at the sceptical looking woman next to him.
"I am Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity. As Kaylee has probably told you, we are in the transport business freighting cargo for pay.
This here is Zoe, my first mate. Her husband is Wash, our pilot.
While onboard, you are free to use the common areas and such, but don't enter the cargo hold without permission and stay out of the cockpit at all times.
The deal, as I was told by Kaylee, is that you cook and mend clothes for the ride. We don't normally take on strays, but Kaylee's weakness for strawberries had me convinced. I see from your supply of fresh eats that you bring value to your word." He told her in a stern voice leaving no doubt about Lou being unwanted onboard.
Lou nodded a "yes, sir" before nodding her respect towards Zoe as well. She knew she would have to earn her keep before gaining friends
"I will get someone to give you a tour of the ship, but first we need to get the supplies into the kitchen," Mal nodded towards the food on the trolley.
"I can help," a deep voice said from on top of the stairs and an elderly clergyman came down towards them. Lou felt a huge grin spread across her face.
"Well, well, well... I'll be damned if that ain't one presumed dead clergyman I'm seein'" she said, putting her hands on her hips.
The sheperd studied her for a second before smiling back at her.
"I never did approve much of your swearing, child, but it does indeed seem that the almighty has crossed our paths," he said as he approached her taking her hand between his warmly.
"Shepherd Book, old friend! I was told you had left this life for something more peaceful, and then I find you onboard this ramshacle bird. No offence captain," Lou squeezed the shepherds hand.
The captain and Zoe exchanged a confused look.
"Do you know this woman, Book?" Zoe asked sceptically.
"I sure do," the shepherd said giving Lou a warm smile.
"Care to elaborate?" Mal asked with a tinge of annoyance.
"Long story, captain," Book said. "But essentially I would not be alive if it had not been for this girl and her family."
Lou looked at the captain and detected a tension in his features that she assumed came from his need to know first.
"What in the verse brings you onboard this humble boat?" Shepherd Book asked Lou.
"I could ask you the same," Lou answered. She threw a glance at the captain and decided to leave the conversation for another time.
"But if we unload this food first, we can exchange news after?" She hinted, giving Book a heads up about the captain still looking a bit annoyed.
Book smiled at her.
"You always were a sensible girl," he said preparing to push the trolley over to the lift that would help them shift the food up a level.
"Well then. I guess Shepherd Book can give you the grand tour later then," the captain said. "But I want to know more about how you two know eachother soon!"
"That we will do at first opportunity captain," Book said. "But for now, let me just assure you that you have taken aboard the finest cook this side of the alliance. Even without this fresh food, Lou here would be able to make even that dreary old protein taste of something."
Mal eyed Lou, still suspicious,  but softening.
"All right then Book. I will take your word for it." He said before turning around walking further into the ship, taking Zoe with him.
"He is a good man that captain. A good man indeed. He just worries a lot about the safety of his crew," Book explained as they hauled the food from the trolley over on to the lift.