Getting the girls.

Soon they were stood outside the dingy looking building again. Zoe drove the mule loaded with the sheepskins. They were taken into the dingy office again where the miner was holding two backbound and gagged little girls. Lou took a step foreward to take them when several big men armed to the teeth poured out of a door. The miner grinned.
"Nooo!" Lou whimpered.
Duggar came out with a grin on his face. Immediately guns were aimed at Mal and his team.
"Duggar," Mal said.
"Captain Reynolds," Duggar said with a theatrical bow.
"It seems you are standing between me and an honest trade, Duggar," Mal said.
"Didn't think you were one for trade in slaves, Reynolds. Your standards are slipping," Duggar grinned.
"Trade is trade," Mal replied.
Lou felt scared.
"If you'll excuse us I think we'll just take what's ours and leave," Mal said and waved Jayne to come with him a few steps towards the girls. Lou and Zoe held their ground.
"What? Is little Lou not running to get her kids herself?" Duggar taunted looking at Lou.
"I wouldn't rely too much on these two if I were you," he continued.
Lou felt insecure, angry and wanted more than anything to cry.
"You know. One of them lost a war and the other is famous for switching sides mid battle if the reward is high enough," Duggar teased. "What do you say. Jayne my boy. How much will it take for you to turn that gun the other way?"
"Ain't happening," Jayne said.
"From what I heard. Captain Reynolds here has been unable to get a decently paid job for months. Tell me Jayne. How big a cut do you get out of a non existing profit?" Duggar grinned.
Lou saw Jayne straighten a bit and fix his aim more firmly on Duggar.
"What do you want?" Mal asked with venom.
"I just made a profit on a shipment of workers. And then I ran into an old buddy," Duggar grinned looking at Jayne.
"Would you mind letting us get on with our job?" Mal asked.
"No. Please. Feel free," Duggar grinned and waved towards the two crying children.
Mal took a step foreward.
"No, no, no... ladies first," Duggar said indicating Lou and causing five guns to be aimed at her head.
"What is your gorram problem? Let us get the girls and we'll be gone," Lou asked.
"My problem, Mrs. Karruthers, is that your dear Danny stil owes me so much money that I am tempted to get my debt out of you somehow," Duggar said.
"How do you make that? I'm inclined to think your debt was paid for by his blood and by taking my daughters," Lou spat.
"Ain't that sweet. You still believe that don't you. Your Danny left my service with more money than you can imagine. My money. You will pay me back," Duggar said.
"You must be delusional," Lou muttered.
"I am talking about gold, platinum and credit bonds that disappeared from my ship with Danny. I will keep hold of these here girls untill that money is back in my hold," Duggar snarled.
"Danny never had any money. You took my kids because of my brother having taken up loans. Remember?" Lou said somewhat confused.
"Oh. Danny had money. He had all my money in that shuttle he ran off with and I swear it is somewhere near your precious Odinshelm," Duggar grinned.
Lou looked at him feeling very confused. Danny had arrived in rags and had as far as she knew never had any money beyond what her family paid the farmhands. Mal studied her closely.
"How much money are we talking here?" Mal asked.
"Hundred thousand credits. Plus gold and platinum in barres," Duggar grinned.
Jayne whistled and started doing the maths on his fingers. Lou sent him a pleading look.
"What? Its a lot of money," he said.
Lou felt her eyes well up.
"See. Now Jayne here is beginning to see things from my point of view," Duggar said.
"So... that's what we're worth? " Lou mumbled.
Mal looked at Jayne.
"You really want to think about this," he said.
"Oh I have," Jayne grinned and socked a fist at Duggar's face.
"Price wasn't right," he shrugged.
"Jayne!" Mal said.
"Well... do you SEE any cash? I don't," Jayne said.
Mal, Zoe and Lou all stared him down.
"Not like I would have sold you out," Jayne mumbled in Lou's direction.
Duggar's crew all stood in fighting stance and Lou looked at her two daughters' terrified faces as the miner they had spoken to earlier dragged them out of the room. Lou rushed to follow but was stopped by a wall of guns pointing at her.
"You thought it was going to be that easy?" Duggar taunted.
"Give. Me. My. Children!" Lou shouted at Duggar aiming her gun at his face.
"Not without my money!" Duggar hissed back.
"There is no gorram money!" Lou said.
"Well, then I guess it's bye-bye Odinshelm. Wooden buildings like that burn really nicely," Duggar said menacingly.
Lou felt herself filling with rage. Without thinking she aimed a kick in Duggar's face before heading for the door her daughters had gone through. The door was locked.
"You bitch!" Dugar said wiping blood from the edge of his mouth.
Mal grabbed hold of Lou and dragged her forcefully out of the way. Shortly after she was on the mule with Mal, Zoe and Jayne heading back to Serenity.
Lou shot Jayne daggers as they arrived.
"You greedy little worm," she hissed smacking her fists at his chest.
"What? I was thinking we'd get hold of that money for ourselves," he said placing a hand on each of Lou's shoulders.
Lou looked at him sceptically.
"I wouldn't sell you out, Lou!" He said looking straight into her eyes with something more than just a smile.
"Good to know where your loyalties are," Mal said deadpan.
Zoe got back on the mule.
"Jayne! We're going back in," Mal ordered.
Lou jumped up.
"Not you, Lou. You're staying here," he said.
Lou was about to protest when she saw three serious faces.
"Trust me. We have this," Zoe said.
"Just get my girls," Lou said and walked backwards towards Serenity.
"I'll be your big gorram hero and bring them back," Jayne grinned.
"You'd better," Lou said and watched them drive off.

Lou was marching up and down the cargo bay waiting, worrying and biting her nails. Suddenly the doors opened and Mal trooped in followed by Zoe and Jayne. Jayne had Vera firmly clutched in his right hand, a small blond girl sitting on his shoulders and a slightly larger one carried on his free arm.
"He wouldn't let go of them," Zoe told Lou as she rushed past.
Lou got to them and Saphire threw herself into Lou's arms. Jayne lifted Brooke down.
"There you go, short stuff. Go to your mama," he said giving her a shove towards Lou.
"Thank you," Lou whispered with tears in her eyes, before turning back to her kids.
Without saying anything he wandered into the ship, letting Lou and the girls get their feet under them.