New day, new chances.

Lou got up early the next morning. She wanted to make the bread rolls and some coffee ready before the crew started waking up and wanting food.
As she entered the kitchen she was greeted by a warm scent of fresh coffee and the sight of Shepherd Book allready in the process of making the rolls while he was humming a familliar hymn.
Lou smiled at the familiar old man as she approached.
"I saw the dough and could not resist trying my hand at old habits," the shepherd smiled at her.
"It looks like you're still at Odinshelm, helping my mother," Lou smiled.
"She taught me a lot, your blessed mother," Book said throwing a glance skyward.
"She taught me everything I know," Lou said, feeling a pang of emotions at the thought of her family.
"You miss them," Book stated.
"It's as if my left arm is missing," Lou said.
"I am sure the good lord will assist you and bring your children back to you," Book said.
"Not sure if that lord of yours has been too active in my part of the world," Lou said.
"He seems to have been testing you lately," Book nodded.
Together they finished shaping the beeadrolls and set them aside to rise while the oven heated.
As they sat down with a cup of coffee each, Lou couldn't resist her curiosity anymore.
"So the last time I saw you, you were taking Russ to some sanctuary in a different solar system and now I find you on a smughlingship being as much of a mystery to these people as you ever were to us. What in the 'verse have you been up to?" Lou asked.
"Your brother Russ is now known as Shepherd Halvard, serving a township on Pandora. We were two years at sanctuary while he was receiving his training and then I stayed two years at the monestary on Pandora after he received his calling there. I guess I got restless so I decided to wander among the heathens again and this bird appealed to me," Book smiled indicating the ship.
"And they have treated you kindly?" Lou asked, concerned for her old friend.
"As well as can be expected," Book nodded. "Heaven knows they need the lords help and my prayers on a regular basis. I have never run into anyone with a more natural inclination for trouble and mischief than that captain of ours."
"You fear for your safety onboard this firefly then?" Lou asked.
"I used to. The first week was harrowing, but I feel that my job here is not yet done," he replied.
"I suppose you need to follow your instincts or your faith in these matters," Lou said.
"The really odd element is that even though the Captain has told me God is not welcome onboard, I know he keeps a cross on a chain under his shirt. I would like to know what he really believes in," Book wondered.
Lou nodded.  Mal was indeed a mystery.
"Thinking about it, this ship ain't that different from Odinshelm. We had a similar sort of crew of rag tag bandits and loose ends that came for work and then stayed a while," Lou said. "Like you and Danny."
"I have had the same thought," Book agreed.
With a great big yawn Kaylee entered the dining area.
"Oh hi folks," she said cheerfully pouring out some coffee.
Lou and Shepherd Book greeted her back. Lou stopd up to set the first tray of buns in the warm oven.
"The bread will be ready in about 15 minutes," she told Kaylee and started cracking eggs to make scramble.
"You know, I didn't even know we had an oven," Kaylee said staring at where the buns had disappeared into a hole in the wall.
Lou laughed.
"I was a bit worried about that myself. Most fireflies were barely equipped with an engine," Lou smiled.
"You know about fireflies?" Kaylee asked with surprise.
"Lou will surprise you," Book stated.
"I have worked at a lot of trades. Our farm never had enough income for all of us so I had to spend some time out and about trying to earn some platinum. And then there was the war. I was Lugger on an independent transport at the start of the war, I was placed on a firefly in worse nick than this one, hauling crates of I-did-not-ask, to anywhere it was going," Lou said.
"Shiny," Kaylee smiled.
"So you have some knowledge about the smuggling trade then," Mal appeared in the doorway coming down from the cockpit.
Lou smiled and stood straight to attention, giving Mal a formal salute.
"Yes, sir! I guess that would be the proper description of what we were doing," she said
"No need for standing to attention on board my boat, Lou ," Mal said. "Ever been in fights?"
Lou nodded.
"Many?" Mal asked.
"More than I would have liked and less than it could have been. I know how to throw a punch and how to fire a weapon," Lou said.
"Good! We might find more use for you," Mal said sipping coffee.
Lou nodded. She was used to standing her ground and not afraid of throwing punches although she got no enjoyment out of it.
Mal walked over to where Kaylee was sitting with her legs up on the table. Roughly he shoved her feet down, before gently stroking her hair.
"No feet on the table, Mei-mei," he said giving Kaylee a warm smile.
"Oups, sorry captain," Kaylee smiled back.
The brotherly warmth he showed Kaylee made Lou hope he had enough sympathy to help her as well. Quickly, she tok the buns out of the oven, cooked the eggs and placed butter, cheese and jam on the table.
"You got jam? And butter?" Mal said eyeing the spread.
Lou loaded a bowl full of bread and set it on the table.
Book closed his eyes and folded his hands for a moment. Lou respectfully waited untill he looked up again before motioning to the table.
"Dig in," Lou said and sat down to eat.
Kaylee and Mal looked at eachother with matching smiles before helping theirselves.
From the doorway to the crew quarters they heard the sound of sniffing.
"Hoban Washbourne. Get yourself back to bed. You have just gone off duty and need to sleep," Zoe said laughing.
"But the smell... there is a scent... I am so tired after having worked so hard all night I am hallucinating about real breakfast," Wash giggled as he burst into the dining area.
Zoe followed closely behind smiling and shaking her head at her husband.
Wash smiled as he saw the table.
"Just a little taste and I promise to sleep until either you need my body for husbandly duty or Mal needs me on the bridge," he said taking Zoe's hand and looking into her eyes.
Zoe smiled at her husband. Wash grabbed her hand and pulled her up towards the table. Zoe looked at the foods and then at Lou with an approving nod.
"Not bad," she said making Lou feel as if this was the highest praise she had ever got from anyone. Zoe's understated personality gave Lou a sense of calm and she understood why she was second in command. If Mal was the center and driving force, Zoe was the anchor.
Wash grabbed a bread roll, tore it open and inhaled the scent.
"Lou, if I was not allready married and deeply devoted to the goddess by my side, this scent alone would have me om bended knee. You are a magician!" He praised while cutting cheese and spreading jam with genuine enthusiasm.
"You will have to excuse my overtired husband," Zoe smiled.
"He is right tho," Kaylee smiled and grabbed another roll. "This is an outstanding breakfast."
"I could get used to it," Mal said giving Lou a smile.
Lou mentally high-fived herself. She had convinced them with two simple meals.
And she had the start of a plan as far as buying her daughters out, bit it needed some planning and a willing crew. She hoped Mal would consider her idea and help her.