Inara's chef

"Well... that was unexpected," Wash said as he turned and went up to the cockpit.
Lou looked in the direction Mal went, wondering what she was supposed to do now.
"He just needs some time," Zoe said patting Lou's shoulder. "He doesn't do emotional.... or family. I suppose he needs to work through it all."
Kaylee smiled happily around the room.
"He can't throw you off the boat now being as you're family an'all," Kaylee said.
"How so?" Lou asked.
"It just means we've got more of a chance at getting decent meals," Kaylee smiled.
Lou laughed quietly at Kaylee's optimistic outlook.
Inara picked up the photo and studied the girls for a moment.
"These girls could be anywhere, couldn't they?" She asked.
"I have been to the biggest trading ports and slave markets," Lou shrugged.
"But not the companion academies?" Inara asked.
"Wouldn't know how to get in touch with them," Lou said honestly.
Inara took out a com-device from her pocket and scanned the picture before holding it up and recording a video-message.
"Dearest friends and sisters, I hope all is well at our beloved academy.
I am in need of some help and wish that you will look at the photo enclosed and let me know if you have seen these girls. They are the daughters of a dear friend of mine and the nieces of another friend. They were kidnapped and feared sold to slavery or other inhumane fates a couple of years ago which means that they will have grown from this picture.
They may have been sold to an academy either for training or as domestic help.
I am concerned for their safety and keen to reunite them with their mother who misses them sorely.
I am on my way to Dorian at the moment. With the help of a newfound, very talented chef, I hope to attract some new clients on my return to more central areas.
I will be there for two days before continuing my travels.
Please send my kindest regards to your prioress." Inara said into the videorecorder smiling her most charming smile.
After pressing send, she turned to Lou.
"Hopefully this will get some attention," she said.
"Wash will get a laugh out of your newfound chef-quip," Zoe smiled.
"Let him laugh. I had to add something that might hint at my resounding success," Inara grinned.
"Why?" Lou had to ask.
"Because some of the other companions turn their noses up at my choice to rent a shuttle on a smugglingship rather than live in an apartment in a city or in a commune with other companions," Inara explained.
"And implying that you do well enough in the outer rim to employ a chef, is your way of knocking them down a peg?" Lou asked enjoying the underlying humanity in Inara's actions.
"Well... yes... I suppose I could have asked you first," Inara said, embarassed at her own boldness and snobbery.
"I don't mind at all," Lou laughed. "Do I need a uniform in case you run into some of these snooty friends of yours?"
"No, but a few finger-snacks or other foods should suffice," Inara giggled imitating a rich snob ordering her servants.
"At your service, Ma'm," Lou said with a bow.
Zoe shook her head at their antics.
"Just don't forget us meek workers need feedin as well," she said.
"Right then. Work to do, ship to fix," Kaylee announced and stood up from the table. "I know we will find your children, and don't worry about Mal. He is just a big softie at heart..."
Inara smiled as well and started her exit. She went to the stairs up to the bridge and shouted up: "Could you send my com to all academies within range, as we pass, please?"
"Only if we can get some use out of your chef," Wash called back.
"You'll have to ask her," Inara laughed back.
Lou smiled at the familliar banter and felt a warm sense of belonging sweep over her.
Zoe had left the dining area and Inara made her excuses before leaving Lou on her own.
Feeling slightly overwhelmed by the afternoons event and her years of worrying about her girls, Lou retired to her own cabin and following a much needed scrub and hairwash, spent the rest of the afternoon unpacking her belongings from her backpack, planning what clothes were due for cleaning and mending.
Her eyes fell on a couple of pretty sew-on badges she had bought for her last money a while back. One showed a pink cat waving it's paw, the other was a red flower. She turned to her canvas bag. She had seen Kaylee fingering the bag while Inara had made her videocall.
Quickly Lou cut a section off the canvas roll and started shaping it into a new bag. The badges would suit Kaylee.
In her backpack she also had a deep purple knitted shawl, made from a delicate thin wool with glass beads spun into it. The wool had been a gift from an actress after Lou had repaired her costumes. The shawl was long enough to be tied across a torso and light enough to be worn as a scarf, and it would suit Inara.
In addition she laid out a jumper she had knitted from her last wool, hoping to sell it on the market. It would fit River perfectly.
With trained fingers, Lou made Kaylee's bag and attached the badges on the front. Lou's head was full of thoughts, worries and surprise at what she had found out. Working calmed her down and she needed her hands to be busy for a while before going upstairs to prepare supper and set a dough to rise for fresh breakfast rolls the next morning. Brother-in-law or not, she was hired to do a job and she was damned if he should find fault with it. She had her pride and knew enough to stay calm. There were no guarantees that Mal would help her, so to avoid getting her hopes up, she had to stick to her plan of staying onboard as far as Dorian and then finding other transport from there.
The thought of her girls hurt like an open wound and finding a brother of Danny's had been a surprise. The family ties were still no promise of either closeness or friendliness so Lou controlled her emotional reaction.
Tying her still damp hair into a long plait down her back, she took a deep breath, preparing her to face Mal and the crew again.
In her bag she put knitted socks in all kinds of sizes ready for the crew who had not allready received some.
Wondering what other surprises this crew had for her, she opened the door and went to the kitchen.