Back on Persephone

Soon they landed back on Persephone. Mal and Zoe went to meet up with Sir Warwick Harrow again to get the next element of the plan straight.
"We got ourselves a man onboard who wants to find workers for a clothmill. Children to be specific," Mal explained.
"I understand," sir Harrow replied.
"It means that we need someone who can supply those children," Zoe said.
"Children from minework tend to be work trained and used to following orders. Hence why we are looking to recruit from Briseis," Mal said.
"And you assume I can assist in some way?" Harrow asked.
"That was kind of our notion," Mal replied.
"I am assuming your two children would have to be included in this deal?" Harrow asked.
"You would be assuming correctly, sir" Mal assured.
"At mine X8?" Harrow asked.
"That'd be correct, sir," Mal confirmed.
"I will see what I can do, Reynolds. I expect to see these children, their mother and whatever else you have aquired on your return. You will hear from me," Sir Warwick Harrow smiled.

Mal and Zoe returned to Serenity.
"Where is everybody," Mal asked.
Lou shrugged.
"Most of them are sleeping or eating. Well... Lou and I are eating. River is off somewhere being River and Jayne left the ship for some reason," Wash said.
"Probably to get ammo and supplies," Mal shrugged.
"I want to look at the food mart if you don't mind," Lou said.
"Yeah. Fresh food. Need cash to pay for it tho," Mal replied.
A short while later Jayne showed up.
"Good. You're back. Get ready for an outing. We need to check on Badger to see if we can shift some of this stuff from Demeter," Mal said.
"Oh, not so sure 'bout that," Jayne said.
"Why?" Mal asked.
"Well.. on account of this one. She kinda pissed him off last time," Jayne said thumbing in Lou's direction.
"Oi!" Lou said.
"'S true tho," Jayne grinned.
"I politely refused his offer," Lou grinned at the memory.
"I don't greatly care what the hell the pair of you got up to on that outing. We have cargo. It needs selling. Jayne, boot up," Mal said.
"Am I going?" Lou asked cautiously.
"Sure. Why not. It'd be interesting to see what kinda dealings you have with Badger," Mal shrugged.
"We picking up food on the way back?" Lou asked.
"Not if Badger ain't payin. No," Mal said.

Soon Lou was on the mule with Jayne and Mal. Zoe had for some reason been left behind in charge of Serenity.
"Let's see what you are good for," Mal told Lou as they approached Badger's den.
They entered and Badger grinned as he saw Lou.
"Well, well, well... look at what the cat dragged in," he smirked.
Mal lifted an eyebrow at Lou.
"You still hanging out with this gang of travellin' gypsies are you," Badger taunted.
Lou stayed quiet.
"Now, I wonder... did you ever get any fun outta this one? Seemed you two had an understanding last time you were here," Badger nodded towards Jayne.
"He's a bucket of monkeys," Lou replied dryly.
"I'm sure he is," Badger said before turning to Mal.
"Now. What suprises does your crew bring for me on this fine afternoon?" He asked.
"Settler gear," Mal replied.
"And the sheepskins I presume?" Badger wheedled.
"As you didn't want them last time, they may be part of a larger lot," Mal replied.
"Not so much didn't want as the price wasn't right," Badger winked at Lou.
Mal looked at Lou with a questioning look.
"Had a better offer," she shrugged.
"Lou! The sheepskins are still sat on Serenity!" Mal said.
"I know. I just didn't like the offer," Lou shrugged.
"Badger. What exactly did you offer my cook?" Mal asked.
"I made her a gentleman's offer of a comfy bed for the night," Badger smiled.
"Yeah. With you in it," Jayne mumbled.
"Now. How in the verse did you expect her to agree to that?" Mal asked.
"Just look at her tho. All sweet and innocent lookin'. Ain't no man gonna resist tryin to get a piece of that when she comes visiting, all voluntary like," Badger said.
"Still don't like the sound of that," Lou said shooting Badger an evil look.
"Right then Lou, my girl. How's this for a fresh start: one kiss and we'll call it quits," Badger smirked coming closer to Lou.
"Trouble with that is, I don't like the sound of it either," Jayne said pulling a gun and pointing it at Badger.
"As I said. I had a better offer. Sorry Badger," Lou shrugged.
"Oh. Like that is it?" Badger grinned at Lou.
"I can confirm that the two of them are turning my ship into a big, fluffy, pink cloud of pheromones. Now can we do some business or are you more interested in what my crew get up to?" Mal asked impatiently.
"I'm thinking you better offer the captain a decent price," Lou smiled.
A few minutes later they were heading back to the ship with enough cash for fuel and food. Badger's men followed close behind to get the crates of settler gear back to Badger.

As soon as the crates were offloaded and Lou had gotten some food loaded on board, Mal ordered takeoff with a course for Briseis. Lou took her new stock of food into the kitchen and begun preparations for dinner.
"Seems you have a long trail of trouble behind you there missy," Mal said.
"Yeah. Some of it was Danny's cold leftovers. But I do seem to have a way with men," Lou smiled.
"So how you feeling about getting your daughters and heading home?" Mal asked.
"Trying to not get my hopes up. I've been almost this close before and ended up on a false trail," Lou said with a shrug.
"I'm thinking you might be worth keeping you know, " Mal said.
"Really?" Lou asked.
"I sure don't get you all the time. And I haven't decided if I like the idea of kids onboard. But the crew all like you and you cook decent stuff," Mal said.
"I'd love to stay, Mal. Thank you," she said.
"Besides... there is an element of entertainment about you. A somewhat unpredictable quality," Mal smiled.
"As in turning Badger down?" Lou asked.
"No. I would have thrown you off the boat if you hadn't," Mal said. before turning to leave. "It's more what you have done to my fighter."
Lou smiled.
"We'll get back to that tho. First we have to get to Briseis, then we need some cash. Fast!" He said.