New Promises and New Friends

"I got a job." Ryan said, smiling at me.

"Really?" I asked excitedly. He nodded his head. "Where at? When do you start?"

"Just some place in town that sells antique stuff. I was driving past it and noticed a Now Hiring sign in the window, so I went in and asked for an application. I had my interview a few days ago, they called me yesterday. I start in a couple of days."

"This is amazing!" I smiled. "Now I'm just going to feel useless because I can't work until my second trimester."

"I'd prefer you just wait until the baby's born," Ryan said. "just in case, you know?"

"I can't. I need to do something. And the more money for the baby, the better."

"Yeah, but it's still early and I can save everything, that way we'll be prepared for when the baby does get here. Then you can get a job after you've healed completely." Ryan grabbed my hand and brought it to his lips, kissing my knuckles lightly.

"I could try to get an office job or something," I suggested. "just sitting in a chair all day, making appointments or answering phones. Something like that. That would be fine."

"We'll see," Ryan sighed. "but for now, let's just worry about you getting as much rest as possible. I don't want my babies to have anymore complications." I smiled and wrapped my arms around him.

"I'm glad you finally came around." I said quietly.

"What d'you mean?"

"With telling people that the baby is yours. And being here with me. I appreciate it."

"I've told you since day one I've wanted to be with you, Bren. I meant it. And now, no matter what, you're stuck with me." Ryan smiled as if he planned this.

"Yeah," I laughed. "I'm stuck with you. Thanks a lot."

"That was a joke, right?" He asked.

"Kind of." I said with a grin. Ryan frowned. "Yes, it was a joke."

I gently kissed his lips and pulled back to smile at him.

"So, I was wondering if you'd do something with me." 

"Like what?" I asked curiously.

"Well, William asked me if I wanted to come over and hangout with him, Gabe, Jon and Spencer tonight." I immediately answered in my head, a big NO, but if Ryan and I are going to be together, I guess I should learn to get along with his friends right?

"Am I even welcome there?" I asked.

"Yeah, of course. I asked William if it was alright that I bring you with me. He was really cool about it, Gabe too. And Spence will be there, so it shouldn't be too awkward for you."

I sighed and looked at Ryan. He was too cute to say no to.

"Okay," I said quickly. "if you want me to."

"Really?" He smiled. I nodded. "Thanks, babe." He quickly got up and started pulling his jeans and shirt on. 

"We're going now? I thought you said tonight?"

"It's almost seven," Ryan laughed. "c'mon, get ready."

I got up and got dressed, basketball shorts and a plain black tshirt. Ryan practically dragged me out of the house and we got in his car, driving over to William's house.

I was nervous when we got there, because they've always been jerks to me and what if this is their way of finally getting to kick my ass properly? They're just telling Ryan it's okay that I come over so they can beat me up.