Chapter 30

"Here's da plan," Scourge pants, running alongside me. I'm still a little worried that he's not had enough food to be exercising like this, but I know there's not much else that we can do. "We run out here, grab the atlas, then stop back at my place to grab the food and that jacket. Once we gotta route all planned out, we go. Good?"

"Good." I reply, skating evenly across the ground. I deliberately take whatever side holds the most obstacles to keep him from having too much difficulty; leaping on top of dumpsters and dashing across walls are things I grew up doing. Nimbly I spring up, landing heavily on a few trash bags in the open dumpster and trying not to gag at the overwhelming stench as I launch back into the air. The rockets on my shoes fire involuntarily, keeping me in the air--instead of panicking, I just roll with it, leaning forward and tucking my arms in by my side. More than a little rusty at using these, I say to myself, smirking slightly. Guess I'll just have to re-adjust.

"Whoa, bro, you're flying!" Scourge crows, gaping. He's running a bit ahead of me, a pace or three, leading the way, so he has to twist his head awkwardly to look up at me--to his right and behind him.

I turn my head to look at him, a blank expression on my face. "Wow, really? I didn't know," I snark; he gives me an exhausted look, then hops over a trashcan in his way, curling into a ball midair only to uncurl moments before hitting the ground. Blinking, I lift one eyebrow, confused. Why would he do that instead of just jumping like a normal person? The rockets in my shoes turn off and I swing my feet in front of me, leaning back; my heels strike the concrete hard, sparks flying as I transfer my momentum from flying to running.

"Why'd ya stop flying?" The malachite-toned hedgehog queries, looking puzzled; as he speaks, he turns down a slightly less dingy alleyway, and I follow suit.

"I'm not entirely in control here," I reply. "The shoes do as they please and I just go with it. My guess is that the shoe's functions are triggered by toe movement or something, but I don't remember." Shrugging, I kick up onto the wall, sprinting parallel to the floor.

"That sucks," he furrows his brows. "Hey, ain't it dangerous for ya to not know?"

"Hmph," I growl in response, lying through my teeth, "I can handle myself." Remembering my embarrassing face-plant at Robotnik's base, I cringe. He does have a point, but it's not like I own any other shoes or anything. I have no other option--god only knows I'm not gonna go barefoot, not if I can help it. I'm not an animal. Not anymore, anyways.

"We're almost there. It'll be on your next left." Scourge points, and I track the direction of his gesture with my gaze. A small building bearing a nigh-illegible sign is a few blocks away, but rapidly approaching. The emerald hedgehog slows down, and I follow his lead; as we get closer I realize the sign says 'Tourist Centre.' It also bears Robotnik's logo. "This place has maps of everywhere. Most of 'em are free, but I dunno if the atlas counts as a book or a map."

"Most likely it does," I reply, stopping behind it. People bustle by on the streets; fortunately this building is in the middle of the street, with houses providing adequate shadows for us to lurk in. "Listen, since we're trying to go without being seen," I begin, but Scourge interrupts me.

"Don't worry about it. Nobody's gonna mess wiff us, and since we're leavin' it don't matter if anyone sees." Grabbing me by the wrist roughly, he drags me forward. "That bein' said, let's not dawdle."

"Right," I reply, pulling my hand out of his grasp. Jeez, the guy's got a grip like iron. "Don't do that. I can walk on my own."

"Ya ain't fast enough," he gripes, opening the door and ducking through it; a jingling bell announces our arrival.