Chapter 62

Thudding footsteps wake me from my dozing, my eyes quickly fluttering open in mild panic. Something's draped around me, and I myself am draped about something absolutely frigid. My fuzzy vision slowly focuses, sharpening with each heartbeat, and I realize to my relief I'm on Omega's back, held up by his cold metal hands; Rouge still has her arms around me, snoring peacefully into my ear. I glance about, puzzled, and stifle a yawn as I straighten up to peer over Omega's shoulder. He walks along a dark street, the street-lamps our only light; the sky twinkles with a few stars, but the city's clouds obscure a majority from our view. The moon is a tiny arched sliver, shedding little brightness, and my gaze drifts over to the wall next to us. We pass closed-up shops, windows dark, our reflections shimmering across the tinted windowpanes. We're too far away for me to make out any details, so I lazily give up, instead deciding to address Omega, reaching up to lightly tap the side of his head. My muscles are sore, my head aches, and my back screams in stiff pain. "Hnn, Omega?" My voice is rough and cracks, and I swallow a bit heavily, throat dry as sandpaper. "Where...?"

"We are almost at G.U.N.'s Headquarters," he answers as my hand drops back down to my side. My mind is foggy, still sleep-addled, and I gently lean my head down onto his back, turning it to one side to press my cheek against his bright red metal hull. "Calculating. . ." a hum emits from his speakers, rattling the steel. "We are ten minutes away if we continue at this pace."

"Hmmh," I yawn, no longer able to hold it in. "Got it." Glancing up, I gaze at the sky. Ugh, man, everything hurts. And to think, this morning I thought it would be a good day. "Omega?" I begin, and his head swivels to one side, letting me know he's paying attention. "How have you been?" I heft myself up a bit, dragging Rouge on my back with me, and he boosts me up onto his shoulders; I twist and disentangle my batty friend from me, holding her in my arms instead. In this position, Omega doesn't have to hold us uncomfortably, and as I cross my legs, letting them dangle off the box that is his shoulder, he starts to speak.

"I have been faring quite well as of late," he replies, looking up at me. "For a time after you left, Rouge and I were alone. She very much did not appreciate you abandoning us, though she understood your reason." He informs me, a question in his eyes, and I bite my lip, feeling guilty all over again.

"I screwed up," I answer, sighing. "I really, really screwed up, Omega, and I'm sorry." My brows wrinkle sadly as I glance down at Rouge, dozing peacefully in my arms. Her face is dirty, eyeliner smeared down her cheeks, and one set of false lashes is hanging on by—I can't even tell. A prayer?—but she's still beautiful, in her own way. "I shouldn't have left."

"I disagree." He answers, and my eyes widen in shock, head whipping around to look at him. What? My heart skips a beat. Is he angry with me?! "You should not have returned," he continues, and I'm pretty sure I just heard my heart snap in half, but what he says next pulls it back together. "You still need to accomplish what you set out to do, Shadow." Suddenly his arms reach out to me, plucking me off his shoulder. I set Rouge down in my place, and he pulls me in front of him. My legs dangle in his grip, and I'm still not sure what he's doing, but I trust him. "They are still waiting for you, you know," he rumbles, and I stare in confusion at him, "but they may not wait forever." Somehow, his voice seems to soften. "I know you struggle with something," he murmurs, "though I do not prompt you to tell me of it. I know not the root of your problem, nor do I need to,  but I know you have held this battle for a long time." Pulling me close to him, he barrels on before I can interject; knowing him, I'll just have to wait until it's my turn to speak. "For quite a while I have kept silent and told myself you must do this on your own, but it has been too long, and I cannot sit back and watch you hurt." My eyes widen again. I think this is the most emotion he's ever shown... I didn't know he even had emotions, since he never shows any, but I guess people could say the same for me too. His long steel fingers brush through my spines effortlessly, soothingly, as I rest my forehead against his chest, feeling the vibrations of his voice. "You mustn't be afraid. You have to do this, sooner or later, but I will not pressure you. Go at your own time; later, I will speak of this to Rouge, and when it is time for you to go, I will ensure she understands." Sudden tears brew in my eyes; it feels like we're saying goodbye already, and I don't ever want to. Biting my lip roughly, I try to choke back a sob.