Chapter 16: all too familiar

Songs for this chapter:

Lose it by Oh Wonder

Revolution by The Beatles

PLEASE READ END NOTE THANK YOU!

~

-march first/junior year/-

This was a terrible idea. Coming here was probably the worst thing I could possibly do. Why was I even here?

The music was much too loud and there were too many people in here. This was such a bad idea, I don't even know why I listened to, Mel and the rest of the girls. Coming to this birthday party was a terrible idea to begin with i'm not sure why I agreed. I should have just listened to Will and stayed home with a pizza. We would have been watching The Avengers or something.

I walked to the kitchen and my face pales when I see that they were doing body shots. I quickly escape the kitchen before I could be one of the next victims.

Fifteen minutes later I find myself boredly wondering around the upstairs hallway. The music is thumping from all the way downstairs. Surprisingly, the upstairs hall is almost empty, but I can't say the same for a few of the bedrooms.

I stumble across one of the bedroom doors. It's slightly open and I knock, no one answers. I'm about to close it all the way, but curiosity get's the better of me. I push the door completely open.

It's a teenage boy's room. Posters of different musicians are on the walls, including a few car posters. There's a bed, desk and drawers. By the bed, on the nightstand, there's a picture frame of a young boy and his mother. It's Justin and Pattie. I've seen his mother a few times at school events where they try to get the parent's involved. She's a nice woman, I don't even know how she and Justin are related since he's such an arrogant, obnoxious asshole and she's probably the sweetest person ever.

"What are you doing in my room?" Someone spits in an angry tone and I gasp, turning right away.

Justin stands in the middle of the room, anger clear in his brown eyes. I didn't notice the door to the ensuite bathroom which is now open, the light still on. He must have been inside and I didn't even notice. "N-nothing," I stutter.

This is so embarrassing. I try to escape by trying to go right past him, but Justin is quick to grab onto my arm and pull my back before I can make out.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Away from you." I whisper, looking down at his grip on my arm. It isn't too tight and I don't pull away. He has the right to be angry with me. I clearly invaded his privacy. "Coleman?"

I look up and Justin is already looking down at me. "Yeah?" His eyes dart to the window by his bed. "Let's get out of here."

My eyebrows furrow. "W-what?" He rolls his eyes at me, tugging me towards the large window. In one motion he pulls it open and climbs out with ease, holding his hand out for me. "You coming?"

I stand motionless, hella confused. Justin pouts and i'm starting to wonder how many drinks he's had tonight, "Come on, Coleman! It's my seventeenth birthday, you have to come because i'm the birthday boy." Justin pushes, eager for me to take his hand.

Carefully, I take his hand into mine and he helps me slip out the bedroom window. The sky's brightened by the stars tonight and it looks beautiful out. There's some snow on his roof too. The loud music is heard and practically muffled.

Justin's window faces the front of the house so we climb out from the side. It's tricky, but he helps me by climbing on the near by tree and helping me in and we climb down together. Before I know it we are sneaking away from the party, just us two.