Chapter 6_ Cousins Lily and Margaret

I was reading the list that Hilda had given me, again and again. I was trying to find any loopholes in the tasks mentioned. I had no intention of doing the tasks. I wasn't even sure whether Hilda would fulfill her promise or not.

I was lost in thoughts when my battered old phone buzzed. I looked at the old phone and suddenly remembered my new one.

I took out the sim and placed it in the new one. I switched on the phone and opened the message. It was from my cousin, Lily. I groaned before reading the text as I was dead sure she had some more humiliation in store for me.

I don't get it. How come all my cousins took after their mother, except for Caroline. Even though uncle had died before she was even born. It's been almost eight years.

My uncle (dad's brother) was a loving and kind man. He pampered me like his own daughter. I remember that we used to spend a lot of time together. He died to save my life. I think my aunt considers me responsible for her husband's death. I blame myself too.

So, back to Lily wanting to humiliate me. You must be surprised to hear that most people I know like to humiliate me. Maybe, I was good at being humiliated. At least I was good at something, unlike many people who try to humiliate me but fail at it miserably. Except maybe Hilda, or Ian, or Lily, or ... Oh forget it!

So, back to the message; Lily was sweetly asking me to come downstairs to the sitting room. Hoping no one else was there, I made my way downstairs and into the sitting room. Lily was sitting on the couch holding her phone. My heart started beating loudly. My sixth sense told me some thing was wrong.

"You called," I said timidly.

"Oh, Mary. There you are. I just wanted to talk to you," she gushed.

"About what," I gulped.

Talks with Lily always meant disaster. With me getting punished for what I never did and she pretending to be on my side. Which I know she never is.

"Nothing, nothing," she gushed on in her fake voice, "I just wanted to have a friendly cousin talk. Face to face that is. We've only communicated via phones. I was about to forget how you look."

She laughed her silly high pitched laugh. I laughed with her a little, just to be polite. Not in a silly or high pitched voice, mind you.

"So, how are you doing now a days?" she asked.

"Fine, you?" I asked.

"Fine, fine. Life is smooth, and dull," she added.

I noticed the malicious touch to her voice. She tried to hide it by beaming at me. I beamed back impulsively.

Hating myself for the gesture, I sighed and said, "I don't know what you have up your sleeve but I don't want to waste any more of my precious time listening to you blabber."

"Mary, Mary! How could you?" she feigned hurt. "I just wanted to have a little chit chat about your love life."

"My love life?" Now I was really confused.

"Yes, your love life," she beamed again.

I wanted to punch that look off of her face.

"You know Ralph from Simon's class?" she asked.

"Yes," I replied.

"Do you like him?" she asked.

"I have no reason to hate him," I replied.

"Not for long," she smirked.

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"I know how your love-hate cycle works," she replied. I gave her a confused look. "I know you start hating people who show an interest in you," she said.