Chapter 16_ Sweet, salty revenge

I snapped out of my thoughts as a ball of paper hit me on my face. I looked up and saw Martin smirk. I rolled my eyes and went over my plan one last time, before Miss David came in.

There was the usual chorus of, "good morning, Miss David," and she snapped in reply. I was impatiently waiting for her to say something bad to me. But surprisingly, today she didn't do any direct attack.

'She is going to ruin my plan. Insult me already!' I thought, halfway through the lecture.

Only ten minutes were remaining and still Miss David hadn't said anything directly humiliating or insulting to me. I couldn't wait any longer and decided to make the first move myself.

I yawned loudly and stretched my arms widely, slouching on my chair. As soon as Miss David saw me she, as expected, snapped, "sit up, Mary. Don't slouch. You are not here for a nap."

"Sorry, Miss. I was bored," I said, plainly.

"You have such a big mouth, Mary," she snapped.

"Do I?" I asked innocently. "Nobody's ever told me that."

"Of course. You have no mother to teach you any manners. And that aunt of yours. I shouldn't say anything about her in front of these children," she gestured towards the students.

The class snickered.

'Enemy against enemy,' I smiled to myself.

Miss David gave me a proud look and started her lecture again. I sat back and relaxed.

Harvey cornered me as soon as I exited the classroom, "what did you do back there?"

"What do you mean?" I asked innocently.

"You know what I mean. You had a smug smile on that pretty little face of yours," he smiled.

"I really don't know what you are talking about," I shook shook my head.

'How could he see my smile from the last row? Darn his observing eyes' I thought.

"Look, you should really not go against Miss David," he tried to tell me.

"What are you talking about?" I plastered a confused look on my face.

He studied my face for a few seconds and then sighed.

"Did you get into trouble for being late yesterday?" I changed the subject subtly.

"Nope, the dinner hadn't started yet," he replied.

I gave my self a mental pat on the back for changing the topic. Now I just had to wait till recess!

When the bell for recess rang, I tried to calm my self. I went over my lines again and again. I couldn't mess it up.

'This is it! The time for sweet sweet revenge,' I thought wickedly and went to snoop around to see where Mr. Collins was.

I saw him get inside the mens' room used by the staff. I hid around the corner closest to it and took out a piece of onion from my pocket. I sniffed at it after every few seconds and peeked around the corner to see when he would come out.

After about five minutes, he came out. I quickly rubbed my eyes vigorously, sniffed the onion one more time and hid my face in my hands before stepping towards Mr. Collins, sobbing loudly. I was peeking through the fingers and was, as intended, stopped as soon as he saw me.

Mr. Collins softly tugged my hands away from my face. I looked up and sniffed. He held my hand and steered me towards his office. He was so kind and caring and I felt a little bit guilty about using him.