Chapter 33_ One noisy night visitor

IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END.

It was midnight, and I hadn't slept a wink since I had talked to aunt about the box.

Harvey had texted and called numerous times and Jamie had texted twice. I had ignored them both, and miraculously, they stopped bothering me.

I was lying on my tummy, my left arm hanging off the side of the bed. Scrolling through my texts, with my right index finger, I frowned. Harvey hadn't texted even once since the last hour. It wasn't like him to take the hint or give up.

I was just pondering upon the situation when I heard a clang. I ignored it.

I heard the sharp sound again and sat up.

Clang!

I looked around.

Clang!

Impulsively, I turned towards the window.

I got up and before I could pull aside the curtain, I heard the clang again.

It was deifnately the sound of a pebble hitting the glass window.

I peeked through the crack in the curtains and saw that Harvey was handing a pebble to Jamie who was raising his hand to throw it at the window. Jamie's pebble hit the window as I pulled the curtain aside.

Harvey grabbed his hand as he was getting ready to throw again.

I slid opened the window and leaned out.

"What on earth are you doing?" I hissed.

"We came to meet you," whispered Jamie.

"Yeah, we wanted to see if you were alright," said Harvey.

"You weren't replying to our texts or attending our calls," said Jamie.

I rolled my eyes with a small smile on my face.

"Get in," I beckoned them.

"Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down you hair," said Harvey dramatically.

"Real mature, Mr. Prince," I rolled my eyes.

"How am I supposed to climb up?" asked Harvey.

"You should have thought of that before you came," I rolled my eyes.

"Let down a rope or something," said Jamie.

"Wait, I'll find something," I said and pulled my head back in.

I looked around my room but couldn't see anything which could serve as a rope. I opened my cupboard and picked up a spare bed sheet.

"Will this work?" I asked, flinging one end out of the window.

"It's short," said Jamie.

"Well, Jamie, you give Harvey a leg up. He'll then be able to grab this sheet and climb up," I instructed. "Let me just tie this end of the sheet to something."

I curled my hand around the handle of the window and tugged at it, testing the strength. I decided it would bear Harvey's weight and manged to tie two knots using the two corners of the sheet with some difficulty.

Jamie did what I had said, and Harvey climbed up on the windowsill. He tugged at the sheet and then gingerly lifted his feet.

He climbed up to my bedroom window with real difficulty, swinging this way and that way, along with the sheet. He grabbed my hand and I hauled him in through the window.

He flopped down on the floor, panting.

"You really need to work out sometime," I taunted, hiding my own irregular breaths.