When Lightning Strikes: Chapter 29

In a span of about a month, my whole word had been turned upside down. All my values and beliefs had been questioned. Nothing seemed real anymore.

I couldn’t believe my own parents turned against me. They hated me. How could I even live here?

It seemed like my whole life was full of melancholy. My head hurt. I rubbed it a few times, before rubbing my eyes. It was late and I didn’t find anything good in staying up. I dressed myself in my pyjamas and brushed my hair carefully, before turning off the lights.

It felt too dark. I didn’t like it.

My eyes were closed, but I couldn’t sleep. The only thing on my mind was my parents. Their disappointed stares haunted me all over again, especially my dad’s. His downturned eyes and disapproving made me want to hide away. This wasn’t how everything was supposed to turn out …

Thud!

I flinched. What on earth was that? My heart leapt in my throat as I squinted in the darkness and saw an object flying toward my bedroom window.

I hastily toppled out of my bed and made my way towards the window. I couldn’t help but gasp when I saw the figure down below, standing on my front lawn, throwing pebbles at my window. Out of all the windows he could have gone and wrecked …

I unlocked and slid open my window as wide as it would go. Immediately, the throwing of the pebbles stopped. “What do you think you’re doing?!” I half yelled, half whispered. What if he broke the glass?!

Jason gave me an easy smile, his perfect white teeth flashing in the darkness. Although his face still seemed a little hollow, his whole demeanour had changed. I wonder what had gotten into him.

“To visit you, of course. Open the door!” he instructed.

A sigh escaped my lips. He could not be doing this right now.

Very carefully, I pushed down my window again. A sudden creak made me freeze. I didn’t want to wake my parents. Imagine how disappointed they’d be if they caught me with Jason at this time of the night.

As I slipped out of my room, I tried my best to tread lightly. There were some floorboards which made the same awful noise as my window. Luckily, I knew which ones they were and managed not to make a commotion. By the time I reached the landing, I had calmed down a bit.

My fingers pried open the lock and the door swung open to reveal Jason. I closed my eyes briefly before opening them. I would not do anything rash. As if it would stop me, I crossed my arms. To Jason, it probably looked like I was hugging myself from the cold.

Before I could ask him what he wanted to talk about, Jason gasped out, “I thought about it!”

My eyebrows furrowed. “What are you talking about?”

His eyes were bright, as if he had come to an amazing epiphany. “Aubrey would want me to be happy, and my happiness lies with you.”

I melted. Really, I did. He was just so sweet. But this couldn’t happen. Not now, not ever. “It’s wrong, Jason, so wrong. You understand don’t you?” I murmured, with my eyes downcast. “You were supposed to marry my sister. Imagine what people would say …”

He grabbed me by the shoulders, making my eyes meet his. Those deep blue swirls were so hypnotic. “I don’t care about what others think! I only care about us. I love you and if you love me too, there should be nothing stopping us from being together!”

I stilled. My heart rate had increased greatly from his little speech. “You … you love me?”

Jason’s mouth opened and closed a little, as he realised what he had just admitted. It was adorable, as he resembled a lost puppy. His cheeks turned a shade darker, although one could hardly make that out in the dimly light hallway. “I ... I guess I do. I mean, I’ve never stopped thinking about you and ... well, I realise now we can be together, Gracie!”