When Lightning Strikes: Chapter 8

A/N: So as you can see, I have a new cover for When Lightning Strikes! I love it and it's all thanks to Forcade! (Username). Thank you so much! A picture of Aubrey is on the side too :) xoxo

“So tell me again why you’re ditching a trip to rock climbing for your sister?”

I rubbed my forehead and sighed. This was harder than I thought. “Aubrey likes to plan early,” was the only way I could explain.

“That’s pretty damn early,” I heard Lorelei grumble. That wasn’t surprising to hear from her though, because she was known for forgetting about assignments and procrastinating. Then, she cleared her throat and her voice went back to a normal volume. “Alright, Ruby and I will let you off since we know how your sister is.”

With a playful roll of my eyes, I thanked them and hung up. Now I needed to get ready for today’s agenda, so I took a quick shower and changed into some fresh clothes. I chose a sundress, wore a white lace vest over the top, slipped on my silver sandals and spritzed on some perfume that Ruby had bought me.

By the time I reached downstairs, everyone was eating breakfast, including Jason. I had a mini heart attack because I hadn’t expected him to be coming, which was quite stupid of me since he was the bridegroom.

“Good morning, Gracie.” Aubrey’s voice sounded like bell chimes, as it floated across from the other side of the dining table. Now why couldn’t I have a voice like that? Mine was soft and definitely not powerful at all. “All ready?”

“She hasn’t even eaten yet!” Jason nudged his fiancée as he hissed that, and then turned to me with a bright smile. “Morning, Gracie. We meet once again.”

I took a seat across from him and nodded my head in agreement. “We sure do!”

Aubrey sighed and drummed her French manicured nails on the table. “Well, go on and eat then.”

Due to my sister’s slight annoyance, I tried to waffle down my breakfast as quick as I could. Instead, I ended up being slapped on the head from dad.

“Ow!” I exclaimed. “What was that for?!”

“You’re going to choke on your food if you keep doing that, Cece,” he sung. He looked smug and I had the feeling that he was secretly getting some revenge on me for going behind his back and dating ‘a French boy’. After Vince had gone back to his apartment that he shared with his Aunt, dad hadn’t stopped pestering me.

I heard Jason murmur questioningly, “Cece?”

“Dad’s pet name for her,” Aubrey muttered.

By the time the three of us piled into Jason’s car, it was ten o’ clock. Today we were going to find a nice outfit for Jason, collect the invitations, buy some decorations and order the cake … all for the engagement party. I had no idea why Aubrey wanted me here when it was supposed to be their party. I felt like a third wheeler.

Our first stop turned out to be the bakery in the next town. It was a little one, with different coloured cupcakes painted all over the walls.

“Cute isn’t it?” Jason said. “This is the sort of wallpaper Delilah would want in her bedroom.”

“Then give it to her!” I ordered playfully.

We were then silenced by a presence that we both did not want. The bell rang, signifying that another customer had come into the store.

“Jason, it’s nice to see you again.”

I watched as he smiled tightly. “You too, Michelle.”