When Lightning Strikes: Chapter 21

Lazily, I trudged upstairs with my huge bag of presents and dumped it by the side of my bed. I would sort through them tomorrow morning but for now, I needed some sleep. The party had gone on until midnight, where last of all, Ruby had handed out sparklers and everyone had waved them around in the air.

When I tip-toed outside my room to wash my face and brush my teeth in the bathroom, the house had gone quiet. The lights were off and bedroom doors were shut closed.

As I studied my face in the mirror, I was surprised to find my face still glowing, even after I had removed all the make-up. Maybe my change of mood had been from the party today. Or maybe it had been from simply seeing Jason.

I was ready to hop into my warm cocoon I called a bed after I finished, when I heard the most tragic sound. The quick intake of breaths and the heart-wrenching sobs pulled me downstairs and in the direction of the kitchen, where nothing could be seen. I hesitantly stepped forward and flicked on the lights.

“Aubrey?”

To my complete shock, my sister glanced up at me, red-faced and upset. Her dark hair spilled over her satin nightrobe and her vivid brown eyes were wide. Her dry lips parted as she took me in.

“Gracie,” she whispered. “No, no, you shouldn’t be here to see this …”

I quickly stepped forward to envelope her in a tight hug. I hadn’t seen Aubrey cry in years. What was the matter now? “Oh my god, what happened?”

A quick shake of the head was all I received. Damn it. She didn’t want to tell? But I had to know what was crushing my sister.

“Please Aubs?” I pleaded as I stroked her hair.

“I’m fine,” she whimpered.

I wasn’t going to have that and I hoped she knew. “You can tell me. I want you to help! I can’t stand seeing you so upset.”

She let out a small sigh before uttering four words that made my heart stop. “Jason doesn’t love me!”

Time slowed down as I processed what she just said. Did she find out that her fiancé had feelings for someone else? Had Michelle clued her in? My mind was whirling but I tried to remain collected and calm on the exterior.

“Why would you say such a thing?” I asked, hoping my voice sounded kind.

Aubrey grabbed a tissue a dabbed at her eyes. “It doesn’t seem like we’re as close as before, that’s all. He’s becoming less interested in what I have to say, when I want him to help with the wedding plans, he walks off and … oh god, everything adds up! My wedding is going to be a disaster!” she wailed.

I sighed. Sometimes my sister could be a little theatrical. “Aubrey, listen to me. Of course Jason loves you. That’s why he’s marrying you.”

“You don’t understand! He never pays attention to me anymore! I can’t even get him to bring me on one single date. He claims that he’s too ‘busy’, but we both know that’s a bunch of lies,” she replied bitterly.

I tried to keep in mind that Aubrey was very upset, but I couldn’t help the angry fire igniting in me when she called Jason a liar. He wasn’t one. He was the total opposite – honest, loyal, compassionate …

My sister’s voice dropped to a whisper, as if she was afraid of anyone overhearing whatever sin she committed. “I’ve even tried to seduce him and he doesn’t spare me a single glance.”

An emotion that I could only describe as jealous rage flared in my very heart. To hear something like that from my sister hurt and to imagine what would have happened if she had succeeded caused pain.