When Lightning Strikes: Chapter 20

The two most important girls in my life avoided me for pretty much the entire week. Aubrey claimed that she didn’t know what I was talking about and Ruby chewed anxiously on her lip, trying to keep her mouth shut.

No new possibilities had come up in my head which frustrated me immensely. I had even talked to Jason about it and he had chuckled, saying, “It doesn’t have to be bad, Gracie. Who knows, it may be the opposite.”

What could possibly be great at a time like this?

Before I knew it, my birthday had crept up on me. I was officially twenty-one but I didn’t feel like celebrating at all. Aubrey though, had insisted on bringing me shopping tomorrow, just us sisters.

The morning of my birthday consisted of my door being nearly knocked off its hinges at six in the morning. My family then streamed into my room singing ‘Happy Birthday’ and I half groaned, half laughed. I sat up in bed and dad kissed my head.

“I can’t believe it’s been twenty one years since you came into this world!”

I rolled my eyes playfully. “I can’t believe I’m getting closer to my death!”

Mom’s mouth dropped open and she chided, “Gracie, don’t say that!”

“You know I was kidding, mom.”

Aubrey put down a breakfast tray on my nightstand and gave me a hug. I cringed because she was being so nice and I still felt like the world’s worst sister.

“We have breakfast in bed for you!” she exclaimed, pointing to all the food. “There’s an omelette and French toast, cinnamon rolls, eggs benedict, peaches with cream …”

Mom gave me a worried look. “If you want anything else, tell me. Do you want some honey on your fruits? Or any dips …?”

“This is enough!” I protested, feeling spoiled already. I didn’t even deserve this. “Thank you guys.”

Aubrey gave me a mysterious smile. “Oh we’re not even finished yet.”

I gulped. Now I was in trouble. I didn’t even want anything spectacular.

“Enjoy eating honey,” mom chirped, before kissing my cheek and sailing out of the room. Everyone left me to my breakfast and I sighed, digging in. This left me to contemplate about my day. I wondered if I would see Jason today. Would he give me a birthday hug? A present?

Gasping, I remembered when I had first met him. I had just turned nineteen and Aubrey had brought him home to introduce him to the whole family. He had handed me a small box and inside laid a glowing pearl bracelet. Smiling to myself, I bounded out of bed and rushed over to my jewellery drawer. I sorted through various boxes and pouches before I found the emerald green one. I took a breath before opening it. This was my first gift from Jason. I clasped the bracelet on my wrist and admired it in the light. It was beautiful.

There was a knock on my door before it opened. “Gracie?” My sister walked in and frowned upon seeing my rarely touched breakfast. “Aren’t you hungry?”

I spun around, startled. “No, I am! I was just … I was just going to …”

“Oh! That’s the birthday present from Jason isn’t it?!’ Aubrey suddenly exclaimed, cutting me off from whatever I was going to say. I felt uneasy. Was it right to wear it?

I nodded. “Um yeah it is.”

“He always does buy the best gifts.” She smiled fondly and fingered the pearls. “I’m incredibly lucky to have him, aren’t I?”

I stared at her. Even though she wasn’t aware of it, whenever she talked of Jason, it ripped my heart.

“You’re right. You are,” I whispered, feeling myself starting to choke up. “Treasure him, Aubrey.”