When Lightning Strikes: Chapter 6

My father cleared his throat and crossed his arms tightly. “So Gracie, why don’t you tell me who this young man is?”

Uh-oh. He had called me Gracie, which he rarely did. I knew one thing for sure though – when he was mad, he liked to call me by my full name. This was not good – not good at all.

I started to fidget with my fingers, but realised that holding a knife at the same time wouldn’t end well. I placed the knife on the counter and looked up again. My heart was pounding so loudly that I wouldn’t have been surprised if they heard.

What was I supposed to say about Vince Fillion, the man who I had been casually dating in Paris? The worst part about it was that we weren’t even exclusive. Dad would never approve of ‘casual dating’ since he had treated mom like a queen and thought of me as his princess.

“Vince? Well I … I know him from France.” I choked. Why was he here standing in my home?! It was embarrassing as well, because we hadn’t gotten to say goodbye to each other. I had left before I could. The only goodbye I had left was a bloody text!

He suddenly got the hint that my father wasn’t very fond of boyfriends and intervened. “I’m very sorry to intrude on your property like this sir-”

My dad’s face was growing redder by the second. “It’s Mr Elwood to you,” he snorted.

Luckily, Vince recovered quickly and nodded. “Of course, Mr Elwood. As I was saying, I am truly sorry. It is just that Gracie and I were very good friends in France-”

“What do you mean by very good friends?!”

I jumped, startled by the raised volume. I had the feeling that he had gotten the wrong idea and was thinking about friends with benefits. “Dad, Vince here is a real gentleman,” I said softly. “And I’d greatly appreciate it if you didn’t look at him like he’s scum.”

Dad seemed surprised by my sudden comment. He continued to stare at me, so I decided to keep going. “It’s not like every guy out there is out to hurt me, dad. Vince and I really get along. I never got to say goodbye to him properly either.”

I turned to him and his once composed face fell slightly. I know it was horrible of me to use this against him, but it was bound to work. My father was a believer in good manners, and not saying goodbye was considered rude.

Vince smiled sadly as I looked at him with guilt. He mouthed, ‘I’m fine’. I guessed I was forgiven then.

Dad sighed exasperatedly. “Geez Gracie, you really know how to make your old man all soft, don’t you?”

“Maybe because I love you?” I offered him a shy smile. “Look dad, you pointed out just ten minutes ago that I’m old enough to make my own decisions. Do you think you could trust me on this one? Even if we don’t last, then that’s that. I want to be happy dad. Don’t you want me to be happy too?”

I could see him choking up slightly, which was a good sign. He was swaying. “I know I said you’re grown up. I meant it, Cee.” He ran a hand through my long hair. “You’re so wise, so intelligent, just like your mother.”

Although I was slightly surprised that I was being compared to mom, I laughed. “Thank you dad, really.”

He scoffed, reverting back to his old, angry self. “We’ll see how this ‘thing’ goes. I don’t like it still, and don’t you think I’ve forgiven you entirely, Gracie.”

I nodded fearfully and tried best to meet his narrowed eyes. Then, he lifted his head to meet Vince’s gaze. I had temporarily forgotten he was here. In a sharp tone, he continued, “Even though I’m letting this happen, don’t go around thinking that I completely approve of you. I’m just doing this for my Cece. You on the other hand … I’ll be keeping a close eye on you.”