When Lightning Strikes: Chapter 31

“WOOH, GRACIE!”

My cheeks flushed as the whistles from and cheers from my family filled the cramped hall. Inviting my cousins to an event was never a good idea if you wanted to be embarrassed, especially since their family unit was made up of three rather loud boys.

The hall was filled with various tapestries of Mercer’s logo and motto. Large emerald and white ribbons had been strung around the ceiling and hundreds of seats had been set into rows to occupy the graduate’s families.

“Gracie Elwood, bachelor of elementary education.”

The headmaster shook my hand and congratulated me, before I stopped by the side of the stage to take my graduate’s portrait and move back down the stage steps.

Growing up, I had always yearned to be a teacher. When Ruby and I would have play dates, one of us would pretend to be the overachieving student, whilst the other would play the role of the teacher. Then we’d swap.

I remembered thinking how mature it was to carry around a colourful folder full of important documents and how authoritative it’d feel to be able to have your own desk. When senior year came around, I was forced to visit career days and by my dad, I was talked out of taking teaching. One of my friends had told me that she had gone through the ‘teacher phase’ as well. And so, I had given up until the last minute, where I realised that it wasn’t just a phase.

A smile curved on my lips and I mentally patted myself on the back for picking something I loved, even if some people did point out you didn’t receive a high salary. Working with kids made me happy.

By the time the ceremony ended, my excitement and shock had died down. I had been in awe, as I stared down hard at my certificate, that I was qualified to be a teacher. Now I was beginning to feel more relaxed.

My family rushed up to me with huge, silly grins. I found myself doing the same.

“You’re finally a teacher!” mom exclaimed, hugging me tightly.

“Congrats Lady Grace!” I heard one of my cousins’ exclaim. Yes, that was what they liked to call me.

I smiled. “Thanks guys.”

Their enthusiasm made me smile. It was so nice to spend time with them. The youngest boy of the Sparks, Nathaniel, looked up and smiled at me. “Can you be my teacher? It’d be awesome if I could get away with hiding my teacher’s stuff!”

I raised an eyebrow. “You hide your teacher’s stuff? That’s bad, Nathaniel.”

Catalina, the only girl in the family, let out an irritated sigh. “That’s what I keep telling him!”

My father had heard what we were talking about and ruffled his young nephew’s hair. “So you’ve already gotten a rebellious streak, eh?”

Nathaniel made a face. “What’s that mean?”

Before we could come up with a definition, mom announced that we were going to celebrate the day at the diner. Everyone cheered and we walked there, as it was only a few blocks away.

The diner was full of rowdy laughter and excited chatter, and the jukebox was playing 70’s music. As expected, it was crowded. Other graduates had come here to celebrate too.

The afternoon was a lazy, but enjoyable one. Stuffing hot chips and munching on an extra-large burger had made me drowsy, though I tried my best to stay awake as we parted ways with my cousins. Other than my graduation, today was another important day. Compared to a graduation, this event was rather gloomy.