When Lightning Strikes: Epilogue

Blooming fresh freesias, orchids and hyacinths overwhelmed my senses. The grand chapel, with its arched roof and marble pillars, towered magnificently over our heads. Morning sunlight streamed in through the gleaming windows, emphasizing how sunnily perfect today would be. Rows of mahogany pews were filled with everyone they loved.

I smoothed a hand over my gown: a gorgeous Roberto Cavalli in smooth peach. Glittering silver gems glittered along the bust line and one shoulder.

“Gracie, the bride needs you.”

My head turned and a smile graced my face, as I lifted up my dress and strode over to the door held open for me. I peeked into the bridal room and my heart soared with happiness at the vision before me.

She stood on a podium in front of a full-length mirror, which had to be brought here. The gorgeous chiffon white gown flowed from her middle down to the carpet. A white band with roses cinched her waist and a butterfly pendant hung from her delicate neck. Her vivid bronze hair spiralled silkily down her back. Small white flowers and strands of pearls decorated her hair, making her seem ethereal.

A tear escaped my eye and I didn’t bother to wipe it away. Pride filled me. She was perfect.

“Please don’t cry.” An amused smile appeared on her lips and she came forward to kiss my cheek. I took in her face – her skin smooth as velvet, small heart-shaped lips, and a set of deep brown eyes framed with thick lashes.

I rolled my eyes. “I’m supposed to cry.”

She gently put a hand to my cheek and all I could do was blink. “It’s funny; they say the bride should be nervous. Yet here I am, as calm as a lamb.”

I laughed. “And yet here I am – a nervous wreck.”

The door then swung open to reveal a red-haired beauty. Her warm eyes were shining with excitement and the sleek green gown she wore emphasised her curves. Ruby came forward and embraced the both of us.

“Oh, you both look so beautiful!” she gushed, before jabbing a finger at the door. “And now the both of you need to take a step outside as the wedding’s about to start.”

The bride gasped and her hand flew to her hair. Now the nerves were starting to set in. “Oh god! Already? Do you think he wants to marry-?”

Before Ruby could lecture her about the groom’s undying love, I jumped in. “Of course he wants to marry you. He’s been waiting for so long.”

She let out her breath. “You’re right.”

The three of us stepped out, in front of the grand doors of the church. There he was, with his eyes fixated into the distance. My heart swelled with love as the breeze made his hair sway seductively in the wind. I studied his handsome, aristocratic profile for a moment longer before he turned.

His deep eyes captured mine and I gasped. His gaze then landed on the bride and softened. The two of them shared a long hug before they linked arms, ready to walk together down the aisle.

“You look beautiful, Aubrey.”

She simply beamed up at him and placed a chaste kiss on his freshly shaven cheek. “Thank you, daddy.”

I watched the two fondly. Aubrey was such a daddy’s girl and would always be. They both looked very similar in looks, though sometimes in the dark, I’d swear on my life she was my sister.

Eerily, both Aubrey’s were very similar – our eldest daughter became a lawyer, just like her aunt. Then there was the way they walked and dressed. They both possessed certain elegance in their stride, words and smile. They both owned a collection of Audrey Hepburn movies and enjoyed spending money on brands like Chanel and Vivian Westwood. I hadn’t even influenced the girl on buying designer clothes. And get this – my Aubrey hated driving cars. She had her license, but for some unknown reason, she always became jittery when behind the wheel.