When Lightning Strikes: Chapter 22

After seeing the dark circles under my eyes in the vanity, I scolded myself for staying up too late. Last night was a nightmare. My eyes wouldn’t shut and my thoughts were consumed with betraying Aubrey. Usually, I pushed that out of my mind and dreamed about Jason. I was in deep – too deep. I had accepted that there wasn’t a big chance of us having a future together, but I couldn’t help but hope that I would have that Disney fairy-tale ending where my prince and I would get married and ride off into the dusk, kissing in a carriage.

Reality slapped me in the face when I skipped downstairs earlier and saw Aubrey perfectly poised on the kitchen stool, sipping a chai latte. I shrank back and hung in my room until I heard Aubrey go back into her room. To say I was a coward was an understatement.

Around half an hour later, when the purr of Jason’s car could be heard, I swiftly took the stairs two at a time to let him into the house. My sister had no idea he was coming over and at the moment, she was leisurely taking a warm shower. That gave us some time to calm our nerves before the big storm and hopefully, the shower would have a calming effect on Aubrey.

I sat across from Jason in the living room and simply stared at him. His head was in between his hands. I couldn’t see his face and I wondered how he was feeling. It was probably how I felt at the moment – full of trepidation.

The scenarios I had thought of earlier entered my head. I heaved a sigh as I thought about the impossible one. Aubrey would never let us be a couple, so that would mean we would have to end up dating others. But would she still take Jason back after this? That was the big question.

If there was a little she-devil on my shoulder right now, she’d be crossing her fingers and hoping for a no. That meant I wouldn’t have to go through the torture to attending the wedding and watching the man I was in love with marry someone else. Meanwhile, my mini angel looked scandalised and scolded me for feeling that way. Aubrey and Jason were meant for each other and I was inferior. If the wedding would make them happy, then let them be married.

This internal battle would kill me someday, I just knew it.

“How are you feeling?” Jason’s voice broke me out of my reverie. I was surprised that he was still trying to make conversation at a time like this.

“I think I’m ok.” I clasped my hands together. “What are you anticipating?”

“A lot of shouting.” He blew out a breath. “But I’ll just have to take it all and hope she’ll forgive me in the end.”

I chewed on my lip. Honestly, I didn’t think she would take him back after this. Aubrey wasn’t the type to tolerate cheating. I was tempted to view my thoughts but hurting Jason wasn’t what I wanted. Instead, I quietly asked, “What if she doesn’t?”

“Then I guess I would have to move on with my life,” was his answer.

Jason finally looked up from the floor to meet my eyes. It was like he was sending a telepathic message: that I would have to move on as well. As right as it was, how could he expect me to do that? I imagined myself married to an unknown person and shuddered. What if I ended up reflecting back on how I had a chance with Jason? What if that thought tortured me for the rest of my days?

Suddenly, the sound of keys jangling sounded throughout the living room. Oh no. I craned my head. Mom came into view and was holding a bag of groceries. My jaw dropped.

“Mom! What are you doing home?” I exclaimed.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jason sitting up, his face laced with disappointment and confusion.

“I have a day off work today!” She turned towards Jason and smiled. “How are you, Jason?”

He stood up and hugged her. “I’m doing good, thanks Evelyn.”