Chapter 19 - One

He had taken her to see a movie. A funny and cleverly plotted movie that helped to set an easy mood. And the act had been so simple, followed by a delicious dinner at a restaurant she'd never before been to, that Naomi couldn't help but to feel wonderful.

Exuberant. Lavish. Ecstatic. She liked that Luke had woken her up before dawn to tell her he would be going for a run, and even more so she liked that he had asked if she wanted to come, and ran at her much slower pace when she said yes. And she liked that he had kissed her so deeply before asking if she'd like to go to the movie theatre, something so simple and sweet that she had smiled by his jaw.

God, yes, she was getting used to this quickly. She was falling into the step of expecting him to come to her, to want her and to please her. And the simplicity of just expecting to see him was enough in itself, for it meant that he was getting closer to her.

Not that he was ever far.

And when she faced the fear of just how crazy she was to let him in, and to invite every delicious part of him that disarmed her, she realized that she couldn't help it. Wouldn't stop it.

He wanted her. She wanted him. She'd be damned, but the want was a hell of a lot stronger than it had ever been, and she knew why.

Getting into the car at the restaurant, she closed her hand around his forearm and gently squeezed. It was a silent thank you, a way to say she'd had fun. But the innocent touch sent a fire to kindle in the pit of his stomach, and Naomi saw the tightening of his jaw as he contained himself; the darkening set of his blue, blue eyes.

She held her breath and carefully took her hand away, placing onto her lap.

"No," he protested, reaching out for her hand and grazing along her thigh in the process. He pressed his lips to her palm before letting it go, and she had to bite her lip to keep from reaching out for him.

They drove in silence. The air hung around them with an intensity that made her shiver, but she forced herself to focus on the country music he was playing softly in the truck in the hopes of distracting herself.

"You're tense," he spoke.

"I don't know what you mean."

He let out a rugged chuckle, clutching the steering wheel with a single hand as he made a curve.

"Naomi, tell me you're not the only one dying here, please."

And then she let herself smile, and put down her defenses, because he just about twisted her heart.

"I can't stop thinking about last night," she began. "I want to make you feel good, too. And I miss-"

He stopped her with one look before she could say anything more.

"Baby. You made me feel good. Too good."

"Better. I want to give you what you gave me. I miss you."

The sweetness of her voice made him close his eyes for a split second, all the while holding back a gut-wrenching groan.

"Miss me," he repeated, trailing off as he fought the stirring in his pants.

Naomi's heart felt as if it would burst, but she kept speaking, her words honest and short. "And your body."

He stepped just a little more on the gas, desperate to get out of the damn vehicle and to just take her into his hands.

She knew just how difficult it was for him to speak then.

"Where are you taking me?" she asked, her voice soft.