Chapter 15 - Speak

He stood by the counter, watching intently as she mixed the contents inside the wooden bowl with a large spoon. She had made do with the only edible things in the isle's kitchen, and never mind that it seemed more of a breakfast fare, what with eggs, peppers, onions, and the salt he had re-stocked weeks ago as the only ingredients for their dinner. But she made it smell heavenly, adding to the mixture the Spanish spices that had come along with the only salt and pepper shakers he had found at the drug store. Luke had never thought he would make use of them, but here she was, cooking for him after she had heard the growl of hunger in his stomach.

"It isn't much," she murmured as she poured the mixture into the frying pan, "but at least it will cure the hunger for a while."

"It smells good."

She chuckled quietly, poking at the eggs with the wooden spoon. "Anything would smell good after that hungry growl. I don't suppose you have a small spatula to flip this with?"

He walked up beside her and pulled out the drawer to her right, producing a small plastic spatula.

"Thanks," she took it from him with a smile. "You could have told me it was right next to me."

Why, he thought, when it gives me a reason to stand beside you? He remained in his place, watching her flip and prod at the omelette until she judged it done.

"Plate?"

He handed the biggest one he could find to her, then turned around to fetch forks and knives from the opposite drawers and two cups from the cabinets overhead.

She placed the omelette on the plate and set it aside at the wooden counter where they would eat. Sitting down at the barstool, she tried to keep her eyes averted, but she could not resist but to marvel at how grand he stood in the small kitchen. All six foot and three inches of him, the wide expanse of his shoulders and chest, taking up nearly three times as much space as she would.

Naomi was looking at his hands, bronze and strong in their calm movements, as he retrieved the silverware and things they would need.

"Do you like it here?" He asked, taking her by surprise. It was the second time he had asked her the same question, and it brought a smile to her lips.

She stared into steel-blue eyes and nodded slowly. "Of course. You know I do."

He gave a slight nod in response and took out a bottle of wine that he started to steadily poor into two cups before going to the stool beside her with the ware he had gathered.

They cut and prepared, and started to eat and drink until the food was gone.

A piece of red pepper stood alone on the large plate, and she let out a small chuckle at the sight of the only remnant of omelette they had left.

"What?" He asked, looking at her with a grin.

"We ate it all."

He raised a brow and spoke with a tinge of amusement in his voice. "Did you want to save it for the seagulls?"

"Maybe," she laughed, sipping slowly from her wine. It was warm and thick in her belly, sating her with its pleasantly sharp taste.

A drop of burgundy liquid remained by her lip after she set down her cup, and she licked it away with the rosy tip of her tongue.

The sight sent daggers of acute need to impair Luke's abilities, and he remained in his seat with the fingers of his hand firmly clenched into the leather cushion of the stool.

Unaware of the torture the man beside her was enduring, Naomi stood from her seat and piled the dishes and silverware into the crook of her arm. She went to the sink and began to wash and cleanse the dishes with ease.