Chapter 13 - Defenses

Naomi had awakened close to noon on the following day with a headache so unbearably monstrous that she chose to stay home. After downing two aspirin tablets with her meal, of which she couldn't stomach much, she laughed at herself, wondering what would become of her if she didn't have her own business and was able to stay home during her little crises.

A crisis was the perfect word to describe the present situation, she thought, because she had been acting like an impulsive idiot as of late. Driving out in the dark of night to a bar, by herself, and getting piss-drunk on whiskey; her poison.

And worst of all, calling Lucas to play rescuer.

He could have been sleeping peacefully beside his girlfriend that night, but she had not considered this now blatantly obvious circumstance when she had called him in need of his help, or simply, his advice.

If he would have chosen to stay home and told her what to do instead, she would have done whatever he said. She trusted him that much. If was herself whom she found trouble trusting in, and with reason...

Her heart and pride ached as she remembered everything she had confessed to him the night before in her reckless passion. She had been drunk, of course, but that did not take away from the truth in her words.

Unfortunately she had not been drunk enough to forget them. Every word echoed in her mind so that she could only hope to mute them for the time being.

At least until the night came, or until tomorrow.

"Tomorrow. I'll think of it tomorrow," she murmured, standing tall on her way to the bedroom.

She dressed casually and donned a hat before leaving for the market. There she would buy fresh garden daisies and plant them along the yard upon returning home. The good hard labor would soothe and distract her, as well as bring a touch of life to her cottage that was always welcome.

And by God, if for some cruel reason she ran into Lucas and Valerie again, she would walk away from the marketplace as quietly as she would enter it.

Parking underneath a shadowing oak tree, Naomi decided the odds would be in her favor and walked to the marketplace.

She took her time with her shopping, walking slowly and appreciating the area around her; the life of it. She felt the open air to be a better medicine for her headache than the aspirin she had taken earlier.

After she purchased the garden daisies she had come for, she decided to indulge in peach peonies for her kitchen vase, and after deciding another vase was in order, she picked out a thin white ceramic and smiled.

Naomi went home soon after since it would not do to have the freshness of her flowers wasted. Once at the cottage she changed into a pair of old ripped jeans and a thin white t-shirt that allowed for air, knowing the afternoon sun would be anything but merciful. She brought out a small radio and connected her iPod to it, selecting a playlist where the only artist to sing was Van Morrison.

Her hands were in the soil a moment after.

She hummed and murmured while she worked, pulling steadily away at any stray weeds- and any stray thoughts of him- so that neither would bother her while she worked. She had covered a good half of her planting when she went inside to make some iced tea with a few lemons and drops of honey. Then she downed the glass of tea and went back outside to continue working.

She could smell the ocean breeze, and the water had looked so inviting when she'd glanced behind her that she thought a quick swim would be in store after she finished gardening. It would serve to calm the aching muscles of her back and arms, and wash away the stray drops of perspiration clinging all about her skin. The idea had seemed increasingly sensible after she thought about it, and she looked forward to the little treat.