Chapter 5 - Platinum

He awoke before dawn. Normally he would have slept for longer, but he could not relax completely enough to close his eyes yet again and meet with oblivion... because when he closed those eyes then he would see her, and in a distant fragment of his mind he would remember that something about her was close by. Then he would snap into awareness.

As he did just then, his heart hammering into his chest with a hummingbird's speed. He felt the weight against his side, the emanating warmth of her body as it merged into his own. He felt the rustling tips of her hair tickle his chest whenever she breathed, the soft slide of her lips against his abdomen when she would shift. One arm was laid gently over his torso as she slumbered.

He almost wept from the relief. For how long had she been living this unknowingly close to him? The possibilities tormented him.

Luke could not bring himself to be grateful for her attack, but he could be grateful for the fruits of it. He would have never found her, unless one day when he would be running his new course, she would have been out in her patio.

But she was beside him now.

He had gotten past the initial stages of disbelief and wonder when he felt her skin, just as hot and soft as before. In her eyes he had seen the same shock, and had just as clearly seen it diminish when she ran her hand over the planes of his shoulders. He could almost feel her counting the freckles, as she had done years ago. He could remember the soft trace of her fingertips as they moved from one to the next.

First, second, third... five, six, seven... You've so many, Lucas. Nine, ten...

His heart clenched.

Washed anew with emotion he reached for her hand, which rested above his torso, over his right ribcage. Luke had to bend his arm in order to grasp the small, smooth hand. She was so small and feminine, cuddled against him in deep sleep. He thought of her bracing the world on her own, with not much more than five feet of stature in a world composed of giants. It was during moments like those, when he realized her vulnerability, that he was thankful for the strength in her character.

He never stopped loving her. For a while, he had expected to; he had hoped to. But he knew when he saw her that every feeling had only been dormant, intensifying in their time of suppression.

And her feelings for him were still there, that he knew with every bone of his body.

Her palm was light against his. He slowly curled their fingers together and felt the faint, cool slide of metal against his skin.

A ring, on her left hand. She used to wear a dainty one on her right, of soft gold, with her name in the inner band of it. She must have moved it or gotten another. Curious, Luke glanced down at their hands, lifted them a little to see better.

Platinum. A clean cut diamond in the shape of a circle sat at its center, glistening over her skin. That diamond was surrounded by smaller ones, and the band was nearly composed of the same intricate stones.

It was an engagement ring.

His body burned, the heat of pain spreading through him like wildfire. Luke stumbled out of the bed, nearly stumbling over his feet.

He had to get out. He needed to leave before he shook her awake.

He couldn't get out of the cottage any faster.

Where was he? Who was he? Had he, Luke, slept in their shared bed with her?

He ran the way back, over the retreating and coming waters of the shore. His feet splashed against the soft waves as he moved, creating noises of anger and haste. He could see nothing, feel everything, and his entire system was waiting for a crash.