Chapter 22 - Stars

I apologize for the wait :( But I hope you enjoy!

_____________________

"I can walk, Lucas. I can." But even as she scolded him she held back a smile.

"Sure you can. You've been in bed for two days straight, and the action probably isn't as natural to you anymore."

She chuckled and swatted his arm. "Shut up." Then looked around them on his front porch. "You have absolutely no flower pots on this porch."

"You'll add as many as you want."

"You're the one who'd have to change things about as you please, hopefully adding some flowers here and there-"

"You'll be living with me, changing whatever you want however you want it."

He didn't know if maybe he should've eased it in over a romantic dinner, but now seemed a good a time as ever, and he loved the look of surprises in her pretty eyes.

"Living with you? Here?" she asked, trying to make sense of his unexpected words.

"Yes, or at the cottage, although it's a bit small. Or we can sell both places and go somewhere else. I don't care."

"W-Wait. Hold on," she said, her brows furrowed. He watched her with a mixture of amusement and pleasure, his lips trying to keep from smiling. He could have opened the front door, but she put her hands over his and shook him so his attention didn't stray from her.

"What you're saying is, that you want us to live together."

"That's right."

"Okay."

"Okay?" He smirked, "No jumping into me, no kisses, not even a smile?"

"I'm shocked!" But then she did smile, and she went to him with her arms outstretched so that he took her into a firm embrace.

When inside she put the bag of clothing and essentials Luke had gotten from her cottage over the kitchen counter of the kitchen he led her to. It was bigger than her kitchen, but still snug, and the warm combination of mahogany wood and marble pleased her.

"I like your kitchen," she said, "fully functional and stylish."

"Thank you, but let's talk about other things. Like ties. I don't want you to have any unnecessary ties to him."

He stood on the other side of the counter, his forearms supporting his body as he leaned close to her.

The hand that was restrained ached to reach out for him, and so she took her other, touching the skin of his forearm with her fingertip.

He took that hand and enveloped it with his own.

"Do you mean financial ties?" she asked.

"Yes."

"I told him, yesterday when we spoke, that I'd pay for the whole of the car. The car's a complete loss, but I want to pay for it. He's not letting me."

"That's his choice. You wouldn't be keeping the car and I think he would prefer instead to just leave it be. He's not vengeful, and I admire that. What else?"