Chapter 10 - Remember

We'll be dancing, she thought, and she remembered their bodies two years in the past, once sparingly clothed and pressed against the other as they had swayed to the music.

Cohen had been playing from the radio.

And Lucas had sung quietly along, whispering into her ear and so tantalizingly close to her neck. She remembered the way her hair had risen all over her flesh, and how her body had seemed to tighten. Needy.

Her face flushed just remembering; her body alive in what she thought was a hum.

She looked at Lucas then, sitting before her with his body leaned in. His elbows were propped on the table in support, and the position gave him the look of a man well immersed in study. And he was, she noticed, because his pale eyes were tranquilly assessing her.

"You're remembering," he murmured, his voice as still and warm as the wine in his glass.

Her breathing stopped abruptly when he caught her.

"I am," she said, knowing a lie would have been futile.

"It was two in the morning, and we couldn't stop dancing."

Her heart sped. "One of my favorite songs had been playing."

"Dance Me To The End Of Love. I was singing to you. Do you remember that?"

"Yes. Yes, I do." Naomi laid her hand on the table and made herself drink from her wine glass.

His fingers grazed over her hand in a possessive dance, tracing her bones and skin.

"You're tense. Why?"

He was looking at her in that disarming way of his, and she could feel herself chipping; opening. She could not even construct a white lie to give to him.

"Because you are going to ask me to dance," she said, "and every time we dance we do more than we should."

Naomi looked away and slid her hand out from under his grasp, averting her gaze in any direction but his.

He sat back in his chair and took her in. Her hair was spilled in dark, tousled waves over her shoulders, playing over her rosy skin with the breeze. She was temptation personified, with her heart-shaped neckline and the slopes of her breasts delicately beckoning. Her lips were a deep red, set to contrast sexily against the color of her body. And her eyes, those green eyes, were alert.

He chose to tease her, because he could not be the only one to be so hot and bothered with such need. "Do you mean to say, Naomi, that you regret what we did that night? And how we made each other feel?"

Her eyes snapped to his, and her face reddened with the heat of her memory. "Be quiet."

His lips twitched in response as a knowing pleasure planted itself in his mind. He got to her; he found his way through that iron will of hers and into her very being with little to no effort from his part.

Just the same as she got to him.

And he knew her mind was going to the carnal as she remembered the pleasure only Luke had given her, on that night after they had finished dancing, when he had... Fuck.

Luke had to clench his hand into a fist underneath the table in order to stifle the vivid stream of thoughts that had rendered him of control. He shifted in his seat uncomfortably, thankful that the table hid him from her view.

His voice was noticeably strained when he spoke. "You love to dance. How long has it been since the last time you danced?"

She let out a dark laugh, and the sound was sexy enough to send a raw punch of need to his gut with staggering force.