Chapter 14 - Holy

The wind played with her hair and watered her eyes as the boat moved steadily over the ocean. She wore her hat, and kept it securely poised on her head with her hand as she aimed to combat the sun that so warmed her skin and crinkled her eyes. It was lovely, feeling the wind and the warmth badger her so continuously; the roar of the sleek boat as it cut over the water that seemed almost the color of teal.

She sat at the hull of Luke's boat, overlooking the area and passing isles as he steered.

She hummed in nervous pleasure, glad he couldn't hear her over the sounds of the lapping waves as she tried aimlessly to calm herself.

She didn't know where they were going, or how the evening would end. She had no way of telling. And God, was she anticipating every moment.

It was devilish.

They were slowing in speed, and she looked up to find the boat approaching a small isle brazen with palm trees and a white shoreline of foam and sand. It was evident now where they were going, and she felt a tingling in her fingertips as she brought her hand to her neck.

She turned around and saw him, standing over the wheel and concentrating over the task of easing into the small wooden dock of the isle. He caught her looking and smiled.

"Do you need help with guiding the boat? Or anything?"

She was sitting, clutching the straw hat to her head even after the wind had ceased, and he thought the sight of her flushed skin and wild hair was perfectly serving its purpose as it was.

"Not yet, but you can help me with the ropes after I've docked."

She nodded and turned away from him to look again at the isle. "What is this place?"

"Green Isle. I bought it after I fared well with the first album. I come here to escape, and I thought you would want to see it. I've wanted you to see it for a long time."

"For how long?" she whispered.

"Since I bought it. Almost two years ago."

She swallowed the rise in her throat. "Well, here I am. It's lovely from what I've seen so far, and the name is perfect. Did you name it, or did it come as is?"

"I named it," he murmured, steering closer to the docks and looking above her.

She smiled with humor. "You've always been intuitive. 'Green Isle', for the palm trees."

"I didn't name it for the flora," he grinned, "but it's fine enough with me if you'd like to believe that."

She gave him a look. "What did you name it after, then?"

"Your eyes. Now give me a hand, honey. I'm going to jump on the docks and start on the ropes. I'll need you to-"

"Take the engine. I know," she said, standing as she shook her head.

"My eyes," she mumbled, "you expect me to believe that."

He walked away with laughter and jumped on the docks as he had warned, while she took the wheel and placed a shaking hand on the engine shift.

"Believe what you want."

"That was a smooth one, it was." Her voice aimed for casualty, but showcased her nerves.

He smiled roguishly as he tightened the two sets of rope on the wooden stalks, enjoying himself and her discomfort. "I named it for you, take it or leave it. Just as I've named songs for you, and you can take that or leave it as you please. You can stop the engine now and come out of the boat."