New Kid | III

I actually woke up happy the next morning. All I had to do was sit through eight hours of pure hell and then I can do something I actually enjoy. Video games. I threw on the usual clothing, black, black and more black.

"Daniel, you're going to be late, hurry up!" My mom yelled up the stairs.

I sighed loudly as I studied my appearance in the mirror. The bruises Phil had left two days ago were just now starting to fade. I grabbed my backpack out of the corner of my room where I had abandoned it last night and headed down the stairs, only pausing to grab an apple on the way out. I climbed into my car and started off to school, chewing away at the apple as I drove.

When I got to the dreaded school, Phil Lester was back and he was waiting for me. I swallowed the lump of fear that had formed in my throat and gathered all my stuff, throwing the apple core out the window. I took a deep breath and opened the door, getting out slowly and then running at full speed to the school. Luckily, the door was already opened and I skidded through on my heels, practically tripping over myself as I slid into Mrs. Jackson's classroom.

As usual, she was not there. No one's gonna find Mrs. Jackson. They never do. If she comes and decides to do her job, then yay. The whole hour is just filled with the class talking quietly while they're playing around on their phones. Meanwhile, I'm just drawing. Pointless nothings. Usually just random shapes that I think are weird looking. When the bell rings, I slowly gather my things, not wanting to go into the hallway and become a walking target.

Surprisingly, I make it to make my next class without even seeing Phil, which is also startling. Phil Lester is not the type of person to be in class when he's supposed to be. Oh well. After my first class, the rest of them, including lunch, were calm and flew by really fast. It was finally the end of the day and I was actually sort of anxious to get to the club.

I couldn't remember exactly which classroom or which floor it was held in so I hurried to the bathroom, to avoid Phil, and checked. Third floor, room 48. Alright. Easy enough. I quickly peeked out of the bathroom before actually exiting and running up the stairs to the room. All my excitement had built up for this one moment and yet, I found myself hesitating to open the door. When I did, I felt my stomach drop out of me and fall through the floor.

The room was painted black, black carpets and black furniture with red beanbags and a huge 72 inch television mounted on one wall. There was an XBox360 and an XBox One as well as a PS4 and a shit ton of games. There was a lot of wireless controllers and charging bases strewn throughout the room but it wasn't this amazing decor that caught my eye. It was one of the members. The boy that told me to sign up lifted his head a huge grin spread across his face as he saw me.

"Hey, Phil, the new kids here."