Luck | VII

"Dan, please..."

I glared at him and reached behind me, pulling the cord that would call the doctor. I heard their footsteps as they entered the room.

"Miss Howell we tol- Daniel! You're awake! I need to run some te-"

"Get him out of my room. Now, please." I said, not taking my eyes off Phil's.

The doctor swallowed audibly and called security who came and took Phil away.

"Can I run my tests now?" The doctor asked quietly.

I nodded. My mother had woken up now but she made no noise, silent tears streaming down my face. When the doctor was done, he left her and I alone. All I did was roll over and ignore her, like she'd done for so many years of my life. She was never there for me before this, so why should she choose now to be there.

The doctor came back, telling me my test results which I ignored in favor of staring at the pistachio colored wall. He kept talking and talking and talking and every time I tuned back in, it was always about stuff like medication and walking or some shit. Finally, he got around to when I would be able to leave.

"Daniel, you'll be able to leave tomorrow. You recovered surprisingly quickly. All we have to do is make sure your bones are still healing well and then you're free to go." He said.

I nodded numbly, thinking about what would happen when I got out of here. Phil, for sure, would continue to bully me. He just put on that bullshit face for my mother, making her think I had someone there for me when in reality he was the one that did this to me. I wouldn't tell her though. I just slept.

The next morning came and the doctors looked at all my broken parts quickly, telling me I could leave whenever I wanted. I slowly got out of the bed, shoving my mother away when she tried to help me. I could do this. I didn't need anyone to help me. I got all my stuff out of the closet and changed in the bathroom. Casting one last glare back at the room, I left.

When I left my room, I didn't expect to see Phil. But there he was, sitting in the waiting room, looking even more tired. When he saw me, though, his eyes snapped open and he stood abruptly. I began to walk quicker not wanting him to come near me. My luck ran out just before the hospital doors when Phil pulled me into the side bathroom.