I Can Read People | XI

I found Phil Lester collapsed on the floor, an empty bottle of pills next to his head. I rushed over to his unconscious body and quickly felt for a pulse, letting out a hiss of air when I felt the faint beat of his heart.

"ZOE!" I screamed.

The door banged open and Zoe came in, gasping when she saw Phil.

"Wait here, I'll get a doctor." She rushed out as she ran from the room.

I started talking to Phil and began CPR, trying to make that his heartbeat stayed there. Yes, I hated him but no one deserved to die like this. I kept the CPR going for about five minutes before I began to feel the burn in my muscles. What the fuck was taking Zoe so long?! As if we had a weird mind connection, she came in again, accompanied by a doctor.

I backed away and he lifted Phil onto the stretcher, taking him out in a matter of seconds. I slumped against the wall and felt someone's head rest on my shoulder. I knew it was Zoe. No one else would come near me right now.

"It'll be ok, Dan."

"But what if it isn't?" I whispered.

"Why would you care, anyways, I thought you hated him with a passion?"

"I do, but no one deserves to die the way he almost did."

"You're amazing Dan. I think you'll be able to forgive him."

"What makes you think that?"

"You're nice, caring, sweet, compassionate, and if someone tries hard enough to prove themselves to you, you'll accept them, won't you?"

I was silent and she let out a tiny giggle.

"I knew it."

"How did you do that?" I mumbled, because for the most part, what she'd said had been correct.

"I can read people, Dan. I can read you and I can read Phil and he really is sorry."