Squeeze | XIII

They finally let me in to see Phil and that's how I ended up here. Sitting by his bed. Just holding his hand and listening to his even breaths. I felt like shit knowing that it had been my rejection that led him to this. I should've forgiven him and instead this happened. Why am I always fucking shit up? Can I not do things right?

I didn't realize how hard I was squeezing Phil's hand until I felt him squeeze back. I quickly loosened my grip and searched his face for any sign of change. I let out a small sound of excitement when I saw his eyes moving under his eyelids.

I stood up quickly, almost knocking the chair back with the force, and sprinted out the door. I ran down the hallways, searching for someone that I would be able to tell. Someone that would be able to give Phil the help he needed since I couldn't.

Eventually, I ended up running head first into a doctor and I scanned his eyes before grabbing his hand and pulling him back to Phil's room. I burst through the door and shoved him in, which I could probably get sued for, but I didn't care.

"Sir, he's moving." I panted, out of breath.

"He is? What did he do?" The doctor asked, taking out his notepad.

"He squeezed my hand and I saw his eyes moving."

The doctor wrote my words down before heading over to Phil.

"Philip, if you can hear me, squeeze my hand."

I'm assuming Phil could hear him and squeezed by the way the doctor excitedly wrote notes down. He pulled up Phil's eyelids and shined a flashlight into them and just conducted the normal tests.

"Well, sir, it seems that your friend here is awake mentally, his body is just being slow to join his brain again."

I nodded slowly at his words.

"I just want you to stay in here and talk to him, alright?"

"Alright... Thanks." I said.

"It's my job." The doctor said, grinning and leaving.

I sat down next to Phil and took his hand in mine again.

"Squeeze once for yes and twice for no, ok?" I whispered.

I smiled sadly when he gently squeezed, hating that this was how I had to talk to him.

"I'm sorry Phil... None of this would have happened if I'd just forgiven you. Can you forgive me?" I asked, hopeful, grinning when I felt another squeeze.